Transiting Cities - Low Carbon Futures,
International Open Design Ideas Competition
Latrobe City, Australia
Call for Entries:
We are calling on renowned international designers and academic institutions from a wide range of disciplines including architects, landscape architects, urban designers, planners, engineers, scientists, entrepreneurs, economists, artists and students to participate in the international design ideas competition titled Transiting Cities - Low Carbon Futures.
How can we rethink, regenerate, rebrand, rework, reactivate cities dominated by singular economies for a vibrant and innovative future?
Designing Possible Futures for growth and adaptation of rehabilitated mines, associated infrastructures and the townships that are dependent on their futures.
Integrated social, economic, environmental and infrastructural design outcomes.
Produce intelligent innovative short and long-term transition strategies for an adaptive and vibrant regional centre.
Re-Think - Latrobe as a network city, Low Carbon Futures, An Integrated Vision!
Re-Generate - The Regional Landscape, the Local Economy, Through Community Building!
Re-Brand - New, Innovative and Alternative Cities of the Near Future, Strengthen Identity!
Re-Work - Rehabilitated Mines, Redundant Infrastructures, Multiple Cultural Hubs of a Local Productions!
Re-Activate - Celebrate the Past , Intensify Town Centres!
Transiting Cities is an international design ideas competition and it is open to everyone. Participating teams can have one or more members. Projects can be real or speculative proposals. Proposals need not be generated exclusively for this competition but reworked to demonstrate how they can be applied to the site of the competition.
Download Competition Booklet
Prizes: Over $20,000.00 in Cash Prizes
Winner Prize - AUD $15,000.00 (Cash Prize)
Runner Up Prize - AUD $3,500.00 (Cash Prize)
Student Prize - AUD $2,500.00 (Cash Prize)
Three Honourable Mentions
Winners, honourable mentions and shortlisted finalists will be published in several print magazines and dedicated Transiting Cities publication and exhibited at Latrobe Regional Gallery and Melbourne Design Hub.
Deadline for Early-Bird Registration - Monday 29 October, 2012
Deadline for Late Registration - Friday 30 November, 2012
Click Here to Register
- Proposal Call
- Competition Launch - Monday 10 September, 2012
- Questions and Answers
- First Response Period Closes - Monday 24 September, 2012
- Second Response Period Closes - Monday 8 October, 2012
- Submission of Proposals - Friday 30 November, 2012
- Judging and Results
- Jury Deliberation Commences - Monday 3 December, 2012
- Results Announcement - Friday 14 December, 2012
- Official Opening Latrobe City / Latrobe Regional Gallery - Thursday 6 December, 2012
- Official Opening Melbourne / Design Hub - Friday 14 December, 2012
- Presentations / Workshops
- Finalist Presentations - Saturday 9th March 2013
- Post Competition workshops - Saturday 9th March 2013
- Ass. Prof. Alan Berger - Associate Professor, Urban Design and Landscape Architecture, MIT University, Director, P-REX
- Luis Callejas - Founder & Director, LCLA Office, Lecturer in landscape Architecture, Harvard University GSD
- Prof. Julia Czerniak - Professor of Architecture, Syracuse University, Director, UPSTATE
- Richard Elkington - Chair, Regional Development Australia (Gippsland)
- Prof. Peter Fairbrother - Professor of International Employment Relations, School of Management, RMIT University
- Celine Foenander - Presenter & Journalist, ABC Gippsland
- Latrobe City Council - Local Council Representative
- Mitchell Joachim - Founding Co-director, Terreform ONE, Associate Professor, NYU, Associate Professor, EGS, Switzerland
- Peter Latz - Adjunct Professor of Arch. Landscape Arch. University of Pennsylvania, Director, Latz + Partner
- Perry Lethlean - Director, Taylor Cullity Lethlean, Adjunct Professor in Landscape Architecture, School of Architecture & Design, RMIT University
- Chris Reed - Adjunct Professor in Landscape Architecture, Harvard University GSD, Director, Stoss Landscape Urbanism
- Malcolm Smith - Director, Urban Design, Arup
- Lou Weis - Creative Director, Broached Commissions, Co-Founder, inframe.tv
- Liam Young - Director & Founder, Tomorrow’s Thoughts Today
Comment as :