UPDATE: The early registration period has been extended until July 31st.
ONE Prize 2014: SMART DOCK
Open International Design Competition for Building a Vibrant Center for Design, Science and Education at the Brooklyn Navy Yard
Relocated to the Brooklyn Navy Yard, Terreform ONE has announced the 5th annual ONE Prize Competition. Since 2010, the annual competition has attracted thousands of participants from around the world.
This year’s competition is set in the context of the renovation of the Brooklyn Navy Yard into a green technology and sustainable manufacturing complex. ONE Prize is a call to build a Smart Dock, where ONE Lab, a new school for design and science, will establish a collaborative teaching facility and public outreach center for socio-ecological design. This Lab Smart Dock will include spaces for lectures, events, and design studios for approximately thirty graduate level students. It will function both as a visual reference and spatial matrix for ONE Lab, and as an unique interdisciplinary research laboratory for industrial design, synthetic biology, landscape ecology, art, architecture, and master planning.
The ONE Prize seeks architects, landscape architects, urban designers, planners, engineers, scientists, artists, students and individuals of all backgrounds to:
- Design ONE Lab Smart Dock within the existing matrix of the Building 128, a former shipbuilding factory
- Create a venue that symbolizes the ideas and values of ONE Lab
- Build a Smart Dock that will serve as a launching point for the redevelopment of industrial and waterfront sites in New York and other cities worldwide
- Imagine an educational facility that can address the future of learning environments and inflect their design, in times of climate changes
Since 2010, One Prize has awarded over $40,000 in prize money.
1st place US $5000 + winning entry to be developed for construction.
2nd place US $2000
3rd place US $1000
The jury this year will be chaired by Christian Hubert, principal of Christian Hubert Studio and Chair of Terreform ONE. He will be joined by a distinguished panel of thinkers and designers, including:
- David Bergman, Principal, David Bergman Architect and Professor, Parsons School of Design
- Luis Berríos-Negrón, Founder, Parmodular and The Anxious Prop and Visiting Lecturer, School of Architecture of the Münster University for Applied Science
- Anya Bokov, Architect and Adjunct Professor, Moscow Architectural Institute
- Matthias Böttger, Co-Founder, Raumtaktik
- Jean-Louis Cohen, Sheldon H. Solow Professor in the History of Architecture, Institute of Fine Arts, New York University
- Scott Demel, Director of Operations, Marvel Architects
- Talia Dorsey, Principal, The Commons INC
- John Hockenberry, Host, WNYC's The Takeaway program
- Mitch McEwen, Principal, McEwen Studio and Partner, A(n) Office
- David Ruy, Co-Director, Ruy Klein
- Robyn Shapiro, Director of Community, The Lowline
- Mark Shepard, Architect and Professor, University at Buffalo
- Michael Szivos, Founder, SOFTLab and Visiting Professor, Pratt Institute's Graduate School of Architecture
- Jack Tchen, Associate Professor, New York University Gallatin
- Billie Tsien, Co-Founder, Tod Williams Billie Tsien Architects
- Adrian Welch, Director, e-architect
- Karen Wong, Deputy Director, The New Museum
The ONE Prize Award is an international competition and it is open to everyone from professional to students. The teams can have one or more members.
Visit http://oneprize.org/ to register, submit, and receive more information.
The ONE Prize Team
Comment as :