VEX: Agitated Vernacular
ASA International Design Competition 2018
This year’s ASA International Design Competition aims to upend the typical associations of vernacular architecture and design. The term ‘VEX’ can be approached from a multitude of perspectives, all to challenge, or agitate, the stereotypes of what vernacular should or should not be.
One tends to assume that vernacular architecture is in opposition to modern architecture and lifestyle. There is the perception that vernacular is something that is traditional and therefore is considered to be technologically ‘inept’ or ‘crude’. This relegates vernacular design to irrelevance in today’s society and also implies that it is immutable and static, and ‘unimprovable’
The challenge of the competition is for participants to create a new type of vernacular with characteristics not commonly associated with vernacular design. The competition is looking to showcase new vernacular design that is mutable, inventive and capable of self-renewal.
The goal is to re-think vernacular as something that can assume performative roles and possess generative potentials. The Jury will reward entrants that can demonstrate vernacular design that is dynamic and is particularly suited to innovation, invention and relevance.
- How can Vernacular agitate the status quo?
- Can Vernacular be a catalyst, a variable, a process, rather than a static element?
- Can Vernacular be a language from which others can spring from and use?
Each submission must include the following contents:
- SITE LOCATION: The participant can select any specific site as the site of their design. The subject can be architecture, urban design or interior design.
- DESIGN RESPONSE: After identifying the site, provide conceptual drawings, analytical drawings, sections, plans, renderings or perspective drawings in any scale. Demonstrate how vernacular quality modifies the subject and the resulting design outcome.
- Official Announcement of competition: January 30, 2018
- Online Submission for competition begins: January 30, 2018
- Deadline for submissions: March 31, 2018
- Announcement of shortlisted entries: April 15, 2018
- Finalist Judging and Awarded entries: May 6, 2018
Register and submit online at www.asacompetition.com
The Association of Siamese Architects under Royal Patronage
248/1 Soi Soonvijai 4 (Soi 17), Rama IX Road, Bangkapi, Huay Kwang, Bangkok 10310 Thailand
Tel: (662) 319-6555 , Fax: (662) 319-6419
Email: email@example.com , www.asacompetition.com
Comment as :