Calling all designers, architects, makers, builders, artists, and creatives: New international design challenge for a public outdoor bench exhibition!
We are pleased to announce Street Seats: Urban Benches for Vibrant Cities, an international design challenge which will culminate in an outdoor design exhibition and walking tour in Downtown Portland, Oregon!
Designers, whether individual or in teams, are invited to design a sustainable, outdoor park bench with a focus on reuse, using environmentally-friendly materials and innovative construction methods. Semi-Finalist teams will fabricate their unique bench designs to be featured in an outdoor public design exhibition at the World Trade Center Portland in August of 2018.
Design and Judging Criteria:
- Sustainable design using recycled, reclaimed, and/or renewable materials
- Aesthetically pleasing
- Innovative design and construction
- Safe for outdoor public use
- Must fit within bench envelope (30’’ x 72’’ x 48’’)
- Seat at least 2 people – hold 600 lbs of weight at various seating positions
- Suitable for outdoor use (durable, robust, weatherproof, etc)
- Stable and securable at the site once installed
- Depth and quality of design process documentation
Schedule at a Glance
- January 18: Applications Open
- March 16: Early Bird Registration Deadline
- May 11: Final Deadline, 11:59pm PDT
- June 8: Semi-Finalists Announcement
- August 2: Exhibition Opening in Portland, Oregon
Comment as :