In 2018, the European Year of Cultural Heritage, all forms of heritage throughout the European Union will be celebrated as the source of memory, identity, dialogue, unity and creativity. These celebrations coincide with the centenary of Lithuania’s independence, causing the country to give special attention to symbols of modernisation, especially to modernist architecture, which bears witness to an optimistic and progressive Europe.
The school is part of a wider series of events dedicated to the European Year of Cultural Heritage, 2018. The event is also a part of the program “Heritage practice” under Joint Programming Initiative “Cultural Heritage: a Challenge for Europe” and will be held at the Kaunas University of Technology from June 25-29, 2018.
The Summer School will focus on the urban fabric of Kaunas. After getting familiar with the historical parts of the city Žaliakalnis and Naujamiestis, participants of the Summer School will be invited to prepare experimental architectural scenarios for the future development of this territory or selected sites within these areas. Ideas should offer a way to preserve the modernist architecture, which is essential to the local character, while also proposing new interventions at different scales that reinterpret, reinvigorate and revitalise the city. The work should question the concepts of value and authenticity, asking whether authenticity should be perceived in terms of tangible artefacts or can include intangible attributes, such as modernist notions of progress.
During the Summer School students will listen to introductory lectures and do heritage walks with teachers to discuss the legacy of the modern city of Kaunas. Further work will be done in groups analysing selected case studies and providing ideas for architectural scenarios.
Afterwards the results will be presented to the public. A short documentary film produced during this week will be featured for the UNESCO representatives as well as in events for the European Capital of Culture and other heritage activities associated with Kaunas 2022. An open discussion with the community will be organized to discuss the results.
Specialists of cultural heritage, students of architecture and heritage protection, doctoral students who work with any topics related to preserving or interpreting the heritage of historic urban landscapes of the 20th century.
- Hannah Corlett, ASSEMBLAGE / The Bartlett School of Architecture
- Edward Dennison, The Bartlett School of Architecture
Place of the summer camp
International summer school will be organised in Kaunas Technological University Faculty of Civil Engineering and Architecture, on June 25–29, 2018. The organisers will provide accommodation and food at the dorm of Kaunas University of Technology (two participants per room).
Those willing to take part in the summer school have to register by sending their CV and motivation letter. The selection procedures will take into account the balance of gender and countries.
- Application process: from April 9th to May 15th 12pm (EET)
- Register here: http://mokykla.modernizmasateiciai.lt/en/
A certificate will be provided to the participants; students will receive 2 ECTS.
- International summer school will be organised on June 25–29, 2018.
- Approved list of participants: till May 30th
- The full content of the program will be announced till June. Further information about accommodation, detailed program and other important information will be sent to all selected participants during the first week of June (4–10th).
Food and accommodation
- The organisers will provide accommodation and food at the dorm of Kaunas University of Technology (two participants per room). Otherwise, participators are looking for accommodation and paying by themselves.
- Travel costs and tickets are not covered. Lithuania is a part of the EU and Schengen Area. Kaunas International Airport (KUN) is accessible by a number of low-cost airlines.
- The summer school will be held in English.
Kaunas 2022 European Capital of Culture, UCL Bartlett School of Architecture, Kaunas University of Technology, AUTC, Office De Architectura.
Comment as :