BLUE Architectural Association (AA) Bedford Square // Hooke Park 22 July – 4 August 2013 DLAB experiments with the integration of algorithmic and generative design methodologies with large scale digital fabrication tools. DLAB will investigate natural growth processes in relation to innovative concepts of architectural tectonics and fabrication. We will carefully interweave these concepts with interaction and participatory design to create full-scale working prototypes. The programme will be formulated as a two-phase process. During the initial phase participants will benefit from the unique atmosphere and facilities of AA’s London home. The second phase will shift to AA Hooke Park campus and revolve around the fabrication and assembly of a full-scale architectural intervention. Some of the most prominent features which the participants will be exposed to during DLAB include:
- Teaching team: Participants engage in an active learning environment where the large tutor to student ratio (5:1) allows for personalized tutorials and debates.
- Facilities: The Digital Prototyping Lab (DPL) in AA London houses cutting-edge facilities for the fabrication of physical outputs through digital fabrication techniques. The facilities at AA Hooke Park allow for the fabrication of one-to-one scale prototypes with a 3-axis CNC router.
- Computational skills: The toolset of DLAB includes but is not limited to Rhinoceros, Processing, Arduino, and Grasshopper.
- Theoretical understanding: The dissemination of fundamental design techniques and relevant critical thinking methodologies to the participants through theoretical sessions and seminars forms one of the major goals of DLAB.
- Professional awareness: Participants ranging from 2nd year students to PhD candidates and full-time professionals experience a highly-focused collaborative educational model which promotes research-based design and making.
- Fabrication: According to the specific agenda of each year, a one-to-one scale prototype is fabricated and assembled by design teams.
- Lecture series: Taking advantage of its unique location, London, DLAB creates a vibrant atmosphere with its intense lecture programme conveying the diverse expertise of professionals in the areas of digital design and fabrication techniques.
Comment as :