The who-is-who of international contemporary architecture makes up the gross of the inaugural Mies Crown Hall Americas Prize shortlist. Announced this week by Illinois Institute of Technology Architecture Dean Wiel Arets and MCHAP Director Dirk Denison, the 36 shortlisted projects — selected from the 225 MCHAP nominees throughout the American continent — are being recognized as "Outstanding Projects."
WIel Arets: "The rich diversity of these built works is a testament to the creative energy at work in the Americas today. When viewed alongside the innovative work by the MCHAP.emerge finalists and winner, Poli House by Mauricio Pezo and Sofia von Ellrichshausen which we honored in May, we see the evolution of a distinctly American conversation about creating livable space."
Scroll further for a small image selection of the selected buildings.
This is the complete list with all 36 selected projects:
- 1111 Lincoln Road in Miami, Florida, by Herzog & de Meuron
- Altamira Residential Building in Rosaria, Argentina, by Rafael Iglesia
- ASU Health Service in Tempe, Arizona, by Lake Flato Architects
- Bolivar Civic Center in Pueblo Bolivar, Uruguay, by Arq. Marcelo Gualano / Arq. Martín Gualano
- Burle Marx Education Center in Brumadinho, Brazil, by Paula Zasnicoff – Alexandre Brasil / Arquitetos Associados
- Capilla del Retiro in Auco, Los Andes, Chile, by Undurraga Deves Arquitectos (Cristián Undurraga
- Cooper Union Center for Advancement of Science and Art in New York, New York, by Morphosis
- CUBE Tower in Guadalajara, Mexico, by Estudio Carme Pinos
- Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles, California by Gehry Partners
- Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences/CDRD in Vancouver, Canada, by Saucier + Perrotte Architectes
- Fernando Botero Library Park in San Cristobal, Columbia, by G Ateliers Architecture (Orlando Garcia)
- Glass Pavilion, Toledo Museum of Art in Toledo, Ohio by Kazuyo Sejima + Ryue Nishizawa / SANAA
- Grande Bibliotheque du Quebec in Montreal, Canada, by Patkau / Croft Pelletier / Menkes Shooner Dagenais Letourneux Architectes Associes
- Iberê Camargo Foundation in Porto Alegre, Brazil, by Álvaro Siza Vieira
- Innovation Center UC – Anacleto Angelini in Santiago, Chile, by Elemental S.A.
- Kindergarten Ciudad de la Alegria, Timayui in Santa Marta, Columbia, by Giancarlo Mazzanti
- Mestizo Restaurant in Santiago, Chile, by Smiljan Radic
- Millennium Park in Chicago, Illinois, by Edward K. Uhlir, FAIA
- Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, Bloch Building in Kansas City, Missouri by Steven Holl Architects
- New Carver Apartments in Los Angeles, California, by Michael Maltzan, FAIA
- New Museum of Contemporary Art in New York, New York, by Kazuyo Sejima + Ryue Nishizawa / SANAA
- Olympic Sculpture Park, Seattle Art Museum in Seattle, Washington, by Weiss / Manfredi
- Optima Camelview Village in Scottsdale, Arizona, by David C. Hovey, FAIA
- Parque Novo Santo Amaro V Social Housing in Sao Paulo, Brazil, by Vigliecca & Associados: Hector Vigliecca (Chief Designer)
- Praca das Artes -- Performing Arts Centre in Sao Paulo Brazil, by Brasil Arquitetura (Francisco Fanucci, Marcelo Ferraz) and Marcos Cartum
- Pratt Institute Higgins Hall Insertion in Brooklyn, New York, by Steven Holl Associates
- Punta Pite in Papudo, Chile by Teresa Moller
- Saint Nicholas Eastern Orthodox Church in Springdale, Arizona, by Marlon Blackwell Architect
- Seattle Central Library, in Seattle, Washington, by OMA / LMN – Rem Koolhaas and Joshua Prince-Ramus (Partner in Charge)
- Studio R in São Paulo, Brazil, by Studio MK27 (Marcio Kogan & Gabriel Kogan)
- Telcel Theater in Ciudad de México, Mexico, by Antón Garcia-Abril & Ensamble Studio
- Teleton Child Rehabilitation Centre in Asuncion, Paraguay, by Solano Benítez Gabinete de Arquitectura
- The High Line in New York, New York, by James Corner Field Operations
- The Integral House in Toronto, Canada, by Shim-Sutcliffe Architects
- Vasconcelos Library and Botanical Gardens in Mexico City, Mexico, by Alberto Kalach
- Vertical House in Lima, Peru, by Alexia León Angell
The inaugural MCHAP Jury is comprised of Jury President Kenneth Frampton, Ware Professor of Architecture at GSAPP, Columbia University, New York; Wiel Arets, Dean of the College of Architecture and Rowe Family College of Architecture Dean Endowed Chair at IIT, Chicago; Jorge Francisco Liernur, Architect, Professor at Torcuato Di Tella University, and Researcher of Argentina’s National Council for Scientific and Technical Investigation, Buenos Aires; Dominique Perrault, Founding Principal, Dominique Perrault Architecture, Paris; and Sarah Whiting, Dean and William Ward Watkin Professor, Rice School of Architecture, Houston.
The final MCHAP winner will be announced on July 9 at a live-streamed public event in Santiago, Chile.
All images courtesy of the Mies Crown Hall Americas Prize.
Comment as :