As the link between virtual design and physical architecture becomes stronger, this relationship creates new virtual and physical dimensions. When new technological dimensions are created, how can they be used for innovation and problem solving?
Virtual designs continue to evolve through the use of: Building Information Modeling, digital painting and environmental analysis. As the number of new virtual dimensions created by designers increase, do they blend or separate from the physical world?
Investigate the link between virtual and physical architecture and how it addresses issues such as environmental contextualism, user interaction, building function, digital programmatic uses and construction techniques. With inherent challenges in every physical site, explore possible solutions created by the virtual link. Does a new process emerge to solve some of the increasingly complex issues in our world today?
Physical Architecture + Virtual Dimensional Evolution
Innovative Minds Competition - Winner
$1000 USD to winning project. The winning project will also be published on the Gurroo website for an extended period of time.
Honorable Mention -
10 Projects will receive this award. Honorable Mention projects will be published on the Gurroo website.
Open Source Donation -
A portion of registration fees will be donated to the buildingSMARTalliance. The building SMARTalliance develops open data standards for Building Information Modeling.
Early Registration - $30
Standard Registration - $40
Any site may be chosen for the design competition.
This project may be designed on any scale; micro or macro.
The relationship between the chosen site and the architectural design must be clearly articulated.
Open to all individuals and teams of up to 4 members: students, design professionals, artists, and engineers are encouraged to apply. This is an international competition.
January 1, 2014 - Competition requirements announced (registration begins)
April 1, 2014 - Early registration deadline (last day for discounted registration fee)
May 15, 2014 - Registration deadline
June 1, 2014 - Submission deadline
June 1 - June 30, 2014- Official judging panel evaluations
July 1, 2014 - Winner of the Innovative Minds Competition announced
Project files must be submitted electronically by June 1, 2014 to Gurroo.com.
1. A text file (.doc) containing team member names, school or firm if necessary and the location of the team/individual (city, state, or country).
2. Project Statement (300 words) .doc file format. English is the official language of the competition.
3. Two (2) horizontal boards, 24" x 36" 300 dpi submitted electronically in PDF format.
4. Animation or walk-through of project. (Instructions for video upload and format to be included with registration confirmation e-mail.)
1. Renderings evoking an emotive quality using unique techniques.
2. Section, elevation and plan drawings.
3. Diagrams describing how the project addresses the competition challenge statement.
4. Registration number located clearly in the upper right corner of both boards.
5. Descriptive text must be clearly legible on boards and readable without extensive zoom. Project statement should be located in separate .doc file and does not need to be located on presentation boards.
6. English is the official language of the competition.
Preliminary judging will be conducted by Gurroo LLC to verify projects meet required competition rules and requirements.
A qualified judging panel of 3-5 will be chosen to evaluate the projects submitted by participants. All of last year's judges were working in the architectural profession.
1. How well does the project answer the design challenge with a successful architectural solution?
2. Overall quality of the presentation boards.
3. Graphic quality of drawings clearly displays the essence of the project.
Infringement of copyright and other intellectual property
All work submitted for the competition must be the entrant’s original work. It is the entrant’s sole responsibility to ensure that the work submitted does not infringe upon the intellectual property rights of any third party, including, but not limited to copyright, trademark and design right. Gurroo LLC shall not be responsible for entrant’s infringement of any third party intellectual property rights, regardless of whether said infringement was known or should have been known by entrant.
Use of submitted works
Entrant agrees that Gurroo LLC and competition sponsors are granted the non-exclusive reproduction rights to all entries for Gurroo LLC advertising, promotion, exhibition, print publication and internet purposes directly relating to the competition.
Gurroo LLC shall have no responsibility for any unauthorized use of the entrant’s works by any third party, including but not limited to the sponsors.
Entrants may not refer to projects that have already been implemented or that have been designed on the basis of any agreement entered into by the entrant or entrants with a public, public/private or fully private body with the intention of actual development of the project in question. Similarly, entries may not refer to projects published before the last day of the deliberations of the judging panel.
The authors of each project will be confidential and will not be shown to the third party judging panel or the honorable mention voting panel.
The schedule of the competition may be changed by Gurroo LLC if there is a need to ensure the success of the competition and applicant projects.
All registration fees are non-refundable. Applicants agree to the terms of the competition upon registration. If the rules of the competition are not followed applicant projects may be disqualified.
Comment as :