City, green-axis, culture, public space... What would you imagine when these keywords land in Zhongshan, Guangdong?
Conceptual Design Competition of Central Green Axis Public Space in Zhongshan OCT Harbour, wish to open up conversations around the symbiosis of urban public space and local culture and history. The competition invites a number of well-known scholars and professionals in the fields of architectural design and local culture to sit on the judging table. We expect the most energetic and innovative student groups to compete for the 200,000 RMB prize in this summer.
The theme of this competition is 'Coexist with Culture'. On the site of 700 meters long central green-axis of Zhongshan OCT Harbour, the participants will be able to express their vision of the symbiosis of urban public space and local culture through spatial narration. Meanwhile, creativity can be expressed freely through elements such as accessorial structures, installations, street furniture and signage system. By holding this competition, we hoped that the local culture will be able to immersed into the daily life of the city in a unique, creative and harmonious way. Only in this way can the local culture present durable and vigorous vitality.
01 Jury Committee
Founder and design principal of Vector Architects. Foreign member of French Academy of Architecture.
Professor of School of Architecture, South China University of Technology.
Professor of School of Architecture, Southeast University. Chief architect of Architecture and Engineering Co., Ltd. of Southeast University.
Professor of School of Architecture and Urban Planning of Huazhong University of Science and Technology. Chairman of Wuhan Architectural and Urban Planning Design and Research Institute of HUST Co., Ltd.
Professor of School of Architecture, Tsinghua University. Design principal of Li Xiaodong Atelier.
02 Judging and Awards
Judging consists of two stages: Professional Judging and Internet Judging.
Professional judging will decide the First, Second and Third Prize, as well as the Excellence Award (i.e. Top 30 design schemes). Awards are as follow:
1st Prize (1 team): Certificate + 80000 RMB (tax inclusive)
2nd Prize (2 teams): Certificate + 30000 RMB (tax inclusive)
3rd Prize (5 teams): Certificate + 10000 RMB (tax inclusive)
Excellence Award (22 teams): Certificate
After the Professional Judging, top 30 design schemes will compete for the Popularity Award in the stage of Internet Judging. The announcement of the top 30 winners and the Internet judging will be carried out through WeChat official account "有方空间" and "中山华侨城欢乐海岸". Internet Judging will not have any effect on the results decided by the Professional Judging. And the awards are as follow:
Popularity Award (2 teams): Certificate + 5000 RMB (tax inclusive)
The top 30 design schemes will be displayed on POSITION media platforms. Selected winning schemes will be further developed and implemented.
1. The competition is open to undergraduate, masters and PhD students from domestic and foreign higher education institutions undertaking programs in architecture, landscape architecture, urban planning and other design related disciplines. Individuals and teams of individuals are both acceptable, 4 members on a team maximum.
2. Participants can go to the competition homepage (octzhongshan.archiposition.com), to fill in the Entry Information Form. You will be successfully signed up when the form is submitted.
3. The deadline for registration is September 2nd, 2021 24:00 (UTC+8).
05 Topic Interpretation (Live Online)
For deeper understanding of the site, surrounding planning as well as history and culture of Zhongshan, we have invited a representative from Zhongshan OCT Industrial Development Co., Ltd. and Professor FENG Jiang of South China University of Technology to introduce the competition background and the local culture and history of Zhongshan by lecture live online. We look forward to your participation on July 27th, 2021 19:30!
July 27th, 2021 19:30
Bilibili.com “有方空间” Live room (https://live.bilibili.com/2173...)
1. Introduction of the Competition
Speaker: ZHAO Lei, Partner and Co-Founder of Shenzhen Position Spatial Culture Development Co., Ltd
2. Introduction of the Planning of Zhongshan OCT Harbour
Speaker: Representative of Zhongshan OCT Industrial Development Co., Ltd.
3. Heungshan·Zhongshan - Glimpse of its History and Culture
Speaker: FENG Jiang, Professor of School of Architecture, South China University of Technology
06 Design Tasks
6.1 Site Condition
The site of the competition is supposed to be the central green axis in Zhongshan OCT Harbour. Zhonghan is a city with long history and rich culture. The Zhongshan OCT Harbour, a large mix-used complex including culture, tourism, entertainment, leisure, shopping, business and residential functions, is located in Shiqi Sub-district of Zhongshan, with a total site area of 297283 square meters.
Located in the center of Zhongshan OCT Harbour, the site is about 50 meters wide from north to south and 700 meters long from east to west, covering an area of about 33,000 square meters. The site, which includes Zhongshan Square and the footbridge across Gangkou River, is a relatively integrated linear space. It is also an important landscape axis and sight corridor of the city.
6.2 Design Principles
Locality: Design scheme should have distinct local cultural characteristics, and correspond to local climate and social features.
Integrity: Design should highlight the integrity of the public space, while organically integrating into the surrounding environment.
Creativity: Design ideas that are open, innovative and close to public life are encouraged.
6.3 Design Guidance
The competition aims to create a vibrant public space reflecting the culture of the city. The following points should be taken into account:
1. Meet the Needs of Various Public Activities: The central green axis public space provides functions of traffic, leisure, public communication, festival activities and etc. Pedestrian traffic is dominant, while battery car will also be planned. The design scheme should exhibit strong accessibility, openness and connectivity.
2. Establish a Solid Spatial Narrative Logic and Create Landscape Sequences: The design scheme should establish a solid spatial narrative logic to tell the story of Zhongshan, creating a rhythmic and varied spatial sequence.
3. Adapt to the Local Climate: Design should give full consideration of the climatic characteristics of Lingnan region, as well as the effect of the site microclimate on the environment.
4. Pay More Attention to the Details Reflecting Ingenuity: While expressing the overall planning strategy of the central green axis, the participants can also propose key elements or key nodes capable of highlighting the story line and the scheme (no limit on the number).
6.4 Submission Requirements
1. Official language of this competition is Chinese. Documents in both Chinese and English are accepted. Document entirely in English or other foreign language will not be accepted.
2. International standard units of measurement (metric unit) should be applied in this competition.
1) An overall site plan;
2) Renderings, analysis diagrams, and drawings of the details to express the concepts of the scheme;
3) Drawings and photos of physical model deemed necessary by the participants;
4) Design Description.
4. The deadline for submission is September 9th, 2021 24:00 (UTC+8). All the documents should be submitted in digital format, and all the works will be printed and displayed by the co-organizer.
5. The specific requirements of design contents are subject to the Competition Document.
07 Special Notes
1. Any text or marks in relation to the author's name or institution should NOT appear on the drawings.
2. Only one design scheme can be submitted by each team. Multiple submissions are strictly prohibited.
3. The juries are not allowed to tutor any participants enrolled in the competition.
4. All participants must agree and abide by the contents and rules of this competition. The organizer reserves the right of final interpretation of the competition rules.
5. After the organizer pays the bonus, the intellectual property rights of the top eight winning design schemes (except for the right of authorship and the rights which are not transferable according to law) will be permanently and exclusively transferred to the organizer.
6. The participant owns the intellectual property rights of the un-winning or un-selected design scheme. The organizer and the co-organizer have the rights, free of charge, to use all the design materials submitted in the competition, to publish the results after the evaluation, and to introduce, display and evaluate the design scheme through media, professional magazines, professional books or other forms.
7. The participants should ensure all contents of the design submissions are originally developed by themselves and contain no content which may infringe on the intellectual property rights of a third party. Otherwise, the participants involved in infringement will be held liable to bear all legal consequences and disqualified for this competition. The organizer has the right to request to return or not to pay the relevant bonus, and to compensate the organizer and co-organizer for all losses caused.
8. For information related to the competition, the Competition Document should prevail.
08 Contacts and Material Acquisition
Link for Material Download
For inquiries please send an email to following address: firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject should be "Inquiry".
All Q&A will be published on the official competition website (octzhongshan.archiposition.com) before August 4th, 2021. Please add the website to your bookmarks and look out for updates.
Zhongshan OCT Industrial Development Co., Ltd.
Shenzhen Position Spatial Culture Development Co., Ltd.
Bureau of Culture, Radio, Television and Tourism of Zhongshan
Shiqi Sub-District Office of Zhongshan Municipal Government
Comment as :