Wikipedia’s gender trouble is well documented. While the reasons for the gender gap are up for debate, the practical effect of this disparity, however, is not. Content is skewed by the lack of female participation. This represents an alarming absence in an increasingly important repository of shared knowledge. Architecture represents an important part of cultural production where gender trouble is terribly pronounced.
Let’s change that. Join us for a communal updating of Wikipedia entries on subjects related to architecture, feminism, feminist and queer spaces. We will provide tutorials for the beginner Wikipedian, reference materials, and refreshments. Bring your laptop, power cord and ideas for entries that need updating or creation. People of all gender identities and expressions are invited to participate.
Please create a Wikipedia account for yourself in advance of the Edit-a-Thon.
- Date: Sunday, March 31, 2019
- Time: 2:00pm - 6:00pm PST
- Host / Location: 2426 - 2426 W. Washington Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90018
- Organizers: Roundhouse
- Petcare: Available
- Childcare: Not available
- Who should attend: People of all gender identities and expressions. Please ask your fellow attendees for their pronouns of choice!
- Free parking: Visitors will find free street parking on Cimarron St.
- Transit : Metro 35, 33, 207, 209
- Hashtag: #artandfeminism #noweditingAF #archandfem
- Please bring your laptop, power cord and ideas for entries that need updating or creation. For the editing-averse, we urge you to stop by to show your support.
- Please take a moment to familiarize yourself with the Safe Space Policy
Articles to Work On
Consider working on articles about gender non-binary and cis and trans women architects, landscape architects, building science, and heritage conservation as well as articles about their involvement with California. We are compiling an Arc+Fem list of names here.
Want to subscribe?
Comment as :