This year’s winners of the SIA Architectural Design Awards 2022 have been announced by the Singapore Institute of Architects (SIA).
The SIA shares that it is "the Institute’s strategic intent that the Awards will motivate architects to strive for higher standards of architectural excellence and imbue them with the relentless mindset of continually achieving great heights, leading to the vision of Singapore architecture being accepted as world-class standards."
The awards’ 21st cycle included local projects taken from a shortlist of 23. In addition to the split Design of the Year winners, a total of seven were given Design Awards, and another nine were named Merit Awards. Ar. Melvin Tan (President of SIA and Awards Jury Chair) shared, “as with the past years, we received a high standard of submissions, from small interior architecture to large-scale complex buildings, for the 2022 edition of the SIA Architectural Design Awards.”
View this year's full list of winners below.
DESIGN OF THE YEAR (Category: Residential Projects)
MeyerHouse by WOHA Architects
Excerpt from jury comments: "The Jury is impressed by the Architect’s single-mindedness in the systemization of components and configuration in plans and elevation, culminating in a well-resolved five-story “Bungalow Apartments-in-the-Sky” development. The apartments are arrayed symmetrically in a ‘C-shaped’ configuration, around a lushly planted axial pool that cleverly extends and borrows views from an adjacent public park. The basement carpark is opened up via cascading gardens that allow natural light to bathe water courts and collonaded walkways below, celebrating the ritual of returning home. From here, dedicated private lifts connect to each of 56 upper-level residences. The architectural palette consists of facing brick façades and a bespoke GFRC louvre system. The louvre system provides privacy to the apartments and turns the building into a delightfully lit sculpture at night."
DESIGN OF THE YEAR (Category: Interior Projects)
A Brick & Mortar Shop-a multi-label kitchen appliances shop by L Architects
Excerpt from jury comments: The project elevates the shopping experience for kitchen appliances within a delightful space. The interior elements are made from commonplace materials like hollow bricks, unadorned plywood, and the recycling of stone off-cuts. Innovation and good detailing deconstruct and re-assemble the cement bricks into free-standing walls, benches, and reception counters, which order the shop’s layout. The resultant space evokes a strong emotional response akin to an art gallery. The combination of natural materials lends the interiors a timeless quality. The walls and display surfaces become backdrops for the products to take center stage. To control visual clutter, the Architect balanced between the curated display of the latest products and the archival of older models stored in pull-out drawers below. This clever, unexpected approach satisfied the client’s brief.
Category: Residential Projects
- Design Award Winner: Petit Jervois by RT+Q Architects
- Design Award Winner: MeyerHouse by WOHA Architects
- Merit Award: Raumplan House by Formwerkz Architects
- Merit Award: Outside In by HYLA Architects
- Merit Award: House of Trees by L Architects
- Merit Award: Alkaff Courview & Alkaff LakeView by MKPL Architects
Category: Special Categories
- Design Award Winner: "Stop all the Clocks" Sanctuary Pet Crematorium by Formwerkz Architects
- Design Award Winner: A Scintillating Tapestry At 61 Robinson by Forum Architects
- Design Award Winner: Additions and Alterations to St James Power Station by W Architect
- Merrit Award: The Temasek Shophouse by Surbana Jurong Consultants
- Merrit Award: Singapore Pavilion, World Expo 2020, Dubai by WOHA Architects
- Merrit Award: The Unfolding House by YY Architects (with SKEW Collaborative and Pian Jian)
Category: Interior Architecture
- Design Award: GSK Asia House by Hassell
- Design Award: A Brick & Mortar Shop-a multi-label kitchen appliances shop by L Architects
- Merit Award: Terrace Flat by Kaizen Architecture
Category: Institutional Projects
- Merit Award: The Hedberg by WOHA Architects Pte Ltd (with LIMINAL Architecture)
Learn more about the competition and year's winning projects here.
Comment as :