The contracting authority
The municipality of Tîrgu Mureș, P-ța Victoriei no. 3, e-mail: email@example.comPartners
The Order of Architects in Romania, Mureş branch
The Union of Architects in Romania, Mureş branch
Novitas 3d City
The urban space consisting of a sequence of four urban squares and one avenue - Piața Victoriei, Piața Trandafirilor, Piața Petőfi Sádor, Piața Bernády Győrgy and Bulevardul Cetății represents one of the most intensely circulated corridors in the city both in terms of pedestrian and motorized traffic, as it is located at the intersection of the historical roads which have generated the topography of the actual city. The space which we propose for study has a deep historical, cultural and architectural-urbanistic implication, as it is part of the old nucleus of the bourg. This historical substratum represents the architectural basis for the performance of a large array of activities of different natures: administrative, financial-banking, relaxation and recreation, commercial, educational, housing, cultural, touristic, social etc.
A contest of solutions and a fathomed study for the above-mentioned space is therefore justified by the need of unitary / organic interventions in terms of urban landscaping (urban materials and furniture used in public spaces, green spaces, public lighting etc.), of reconfiguring mobility in accordance with the new recommendations of the European Union (priority given to pedestrian and bicycle traffic and to public transportation), as well as of highlighting architectural monuments and ensembles (currently affected by high vegetation, on-street parking, the insufficiency of façade lighting etc.).
The purpose of the contest is to obtain solutions/ ideas for the improvement of the studied area in the context of the actual community needs by: solving the conflicts generated by the multifunctional nature of the studied area, making the most of the architectural monuments and ensembles, increasing the attractiveness of the area for tourism purposes, urban landscape amelioration, increasing the quality of the spaces for social meetings in the area, reorganization of the circulation for the purpose of reducing motorized traffic, pollution in the area and increasing pedestrian and bicycle flows and the use of public transportation, increasing the standard of life for the people living in the said area, creating facilities for the mobility of the persons with disabilities – which should ground the documentations of urbanism or technical projects, of which we hereby mention The Urban Zonal Plan for the Historic Urban Area, Project "Re-modelling of the Central Area of the Municipality of Tîrgu Mureș".
The contestants will make proposals regarding the following important aspects for the beneficiary:
- Making the most of the architectural monuments and ensembles and enhancing the character of each public space
- Integrating monuments of public forum with an aesthetic/ historical value (existent and approved statues, the clock with flowers etc.), either existent or proposed; integrating auto and pedestrian access in the underground parking proposed in Piața Trandafirilor;
- The organic treatment of the public space, urban furniture, foodservice terraces, kiosks, signs regarding touristic objectives, urban lighting, façade’s colouring and circulation routes;
- Creating/ highlighting some symbolic elements for the historic urban area or for the entire city (these could be: the design of a public space for social meetings, the design of bus stations, the design of urban furniture, the design of kiosks, the design of commercial terraces, the design of touristic signs, the design of bicycle racks or of any other element from the public space which has the potential of becoming symbolic)
- The re-organization of overall traffic and parking in the central area, aiming total or partial elimination of the motorised traffic in Piața Trandafirilor and in the adjacent area; the integration of the supply transportation in the area;
- The spatial and mineral re-modelling of the public spaces – the aisles destined to pedestrian and cycling traffic (including that of persons with disabilities) and to motorised traffic, those of public transportation (including stations of public transport), public squares and green spaces;
- Integrating the stations of public transportation in the space destined to pedestrian circulation; analysing the locations of the stations of public transportation and identifying new locations if this is considered to be necessary;
- Reducing pollution and adapting the public space to climate changes
- Other aspects which can be freely decided by the contestant / the competing team
The contest will prize creativity, the technical quality of solutions, the proper substantiation of the solutions and sustainability as being the main criteria for evaluating the projects.
Type of contest: solutions contest opened at a national level, with prizes awarding and contracting projecting services
The official launch of the contest: 29.06.2018
The deadline for sending the projects: 17.09.2018
- The contestants can be individual architecture offices, associations of individual architecture offices, architecture civil societies or other legal forms of practicing the profession of an architect, according to the national legislation of the state of origin or legal persons (commercial companies of projecting) in Romania or from other countries, either individually or associated. In cases of association, its leader will register the project in the contest
- The legal persons contestants will mandatorily have as an associate or employee an architect with the right of signature, a member of the Order of Architects in Romania, who legally practices the profession of an architect according to the national legislation of the state of origin. Either individually or through association, the contestants must have the capacity of closing a projecting service agreement on the Romanian territory, in the event of winning the contest.
- It is recommended that the team should have in their componence also urbanists, landscapers, designers, visual artists, traffic engineers, sociologists, historians, engineers or persons with a different training considered by the participants as being relevant for the issued proposal, either from the country or from abroad.
- There can be no private communication between the contestants and the organizers. The contestants can address questions and request explanations concerning the contest Documentation exclusively in writing. The requests, together with the answers will be the object of some public communications addressed to all participants.
Criteria of evaluating the projects:
- Creativity, originality and landscape/ urban/ architectural/ artistic quality of the proposals
- The viability, rationality and sustainability of the proposals
- Reaching the goals set through the theme
- The quality and clarity of the ideas’ representation to the extent to which they illustrate the contestant’s capacity to put into practice the targeted project
The jury: specialists from within professional organizations in the fields of architecture, urbanism, visual arts and urban mobility, representatives of local and central authority.
Closing the agreement for the feasibility study and the execution project:
The decision taken by the jury of the contest is mandatory for the Promotor. Following this contest, the Promotor can contract, according to the legal provisions, the issuance of projecting services and technical assistance from the winning team. The estimated value of the afferent agreement is of 2.167.232 lei, VAT non-included, for the following projecting missions: SF/DALI, PUZ (if necessary), PAC + POE, PT + DDE, technical assistance.
The number and value of prizes:
1st prize: 20.000 euro
2nd prize: 10.000 euro
3rd prize: 5.000 euro
Besides the said awards, a maximum of 3 mentions can be awarded for partial solutions with a special quality in the fields considered to have a priority, amounting to 1.000 euro per each mention. The partial solutions can be, for example, the design of an elements considered to have symbolic potential, a feasible solution of re-organizing the circulation, of integrating auto and pedestrian access to the underground passage in Piața Trandafirilor, the mineral and spatial re-modelling of public spaces – aisles destined to pedestrian and cycling flows (including that of persons with disabilities) and motorised circulation, of public transportation (including stations of public transportation), of public squares and green spaces etc.
The jury reserves the right of not awarding some prizes to the extent to which this is considered to be justified, according to the value (quality) of the presented works.
The contest documentation, including the theme of contest, the regulations of the contest and the documents made available by the Promotor for the implementation of solutions will be available of the website of the municipality of Tîrgu Mureș www.tirgumures.ro and on SEAP after the date of the official launching of the contest.
Comment as :