Open International Design Competition for Building Resilient Cities
Recently relocated to the Brooklyn Navy Yard, Terreform ONE has announced the 4th annual ONE Prize Competition. Since 2010, the annual competition has attracted thousands of participants from around the world.
This year’s competition is set in the context of severe climate dynamism. How can cities adapt to the future challenges of extreme weather? The ONE Prize is a call to deploy sophisticated design to alleviate storm impact through various urban interventions such as: protective green spaces, barrier shorelines, alternative housing, waterproofing technology, and public space solutions. We wish to reinvigorate infrastructure and repurpose spaces towards environmental adaptation in order to put design in the service of the community.
The ONE Prize seeks architects, landscape architects, urban designers, planners, engineers, scientists, artists, students and individuals of all backgrounds.
- How can urban ecosystems be enhanced to prevent flooding?
- What can restore Rockaway Beach social infrastructure and public space?
- When can the New Orleans community change to accept storms without losing character?
- What can protect Asian Coastal Cities against the unforeseen?
- Where can shorelines be storm surge barriers as well as interactive zones?
- How can storm proofing be seen as an opportunity to rethink the future of our cities?
The ONE Prize Award is an international competition and it is open to everyone from professional to students. The teams can have one or more members. The proposals can be for real or speculative projects, at one or more actual sites. Projects can be located either in the U.S. or abroad, but should be applicable to the U.S. Proposals need not be generated exclusively for this competition, provided that they address the intent of the competition.
For more information on ONE Prize 2013: STORMPROOF, this year’s competition jury and to submit your ideas visit: http://www.oneprize.org
UPDATE 1: Early Registration: June 30, 2013: Registration and Submission; August 31, 2013.
UPDATE 2: Terreform ONE is proud to announce the jury for the STORMPROOF: Open International Design Competition for Building Resilient Cities.
- Stan Allen – Principal, SAA, Professor and Former Dean, Princeton University School of Architecture
- Michael Arad - Partner, Handel Architects
- Dan Barasch - Co-Founder, The Low Line
- Christopher Beardsley - Executive Director, Forum for Urban Design and Partner, RUX
- Adrian Benepe - Senior Vice President and Director of City Park Development at Trust for Public Land, Former Commissioner, NYC Parks and Recreation
- Jennifer Bolstad - Founding Principal, Local Office Landscape Architecture
- Louise Harpman - Founding Partner, Specht Harpman and Associate Professor of Practice, NYU
- Christian Hubert - Principal, Christian Hubert Studio and Chair, Terreform ONE Board of Directors
- Kaja Kühl - Founder, You Are The City and Associate Adjunct Professor, Columbia GSAPP
- Walter Meyer - Founding Principal, Local Office Landscape Architecture and Associate Adjunct Professor, Columbia GSAPP
- James Ramsay - Principal, RAAD Studios and Co-Founder, The Low Line
- Mary Rowe - Vice President and Managing Director, Municipal Art Society
- David Selig - Community Activist and Owner, Rockaway Taco
- Alex Washburn - Chief Urban Designer, New York City Department of City Planning
- Peter Yeadon - Founding Partner, Decker Yeadon and Associate Professor, RISD
Comment as :