The Emerging New York Architects (ENYA) committee of the AIA New York Chapter announces its sixth biennial ideas competition, “Queensway Connection: Elevating the Public Realm.” All those interested are invited to attend the competition launch party on August 22, 6:30 pm, at the Center for Architecture, with comments by Adrian Benepe (Senior Vice President of The Trust for Public Land) and Frank Lupo, FAIA (Steering Committee Member, Friends of the QueensWay).
“Queensway Connection: Elevating the Public Realm” supports Friends of the Queensway and The Trust for Public Land in their efforts to transform an abandoned rail right-of-way into a greenway serving diverse neighborhoods in central and southern Queens. This conversion is similar in urbanism and density to the Bloomingdale trail conversion in Chicago. This competition seeks to supplement the ongoing feasibility study for the railway’s transformation by proposing ways the future park can be activated in addition to recreation and leisure. With emphasis on the park’s access points the competition brief provides an opportunity to speculate about programming and design to extend street activity onto the railway.
ENYA Prize- $5,000*
2nd Prize- $2,500
3rd Prize- $1,000
Student Prize- $1,000
Competition Launch: August 22, 2013
Submissions Due: January 12, 2014 (UPDATED!)
Jury: February 2014
Winners Announced: March 2014
Exhibition Opening at the Center for Architecture: July 16, 2014
The competition is open to all design students and young professionals, including, but not limited to, architects, artists, engineers, landscape architects, urban designers and planners. Entrants are considered eligible if they have completed their education at the undergraduate or graduate level within the past 10 years of the competition announcement (August 22nd, 2013). The participants may be licensed individuals within their respective professions.
For more information, please visit www.enyacompetitions.org.
UPDATE (Oct 14, 2013):
- Susan Chin, FAIA, Executive Director of the Design Trust for Public Space.
- Margaret Newman, FAIA, LEED AP, Chief of Staff to Commissioner Janette Sadik-Khan at New York City Department of Transportation (NYCDOT).
- Matthew Johnson, Senior Associate at Diller Scoffidio + Renfro.
- Claire Weisz, FAIA, Founding Partner of WXY Architecture + Urban Design.
- Lisa Switkin, Associate Partner and Managing Director at James Corner Field Operations.
- Ting Chin, AIA and Yang Wang, AIA, Co-founders of Linearscape Architecture, 2012 ENYA Ideas Competition winner.
UPDATE (Jan 6, 2014): The deadline has been extended to 01/12.
Comment as :