Registrations are now open for the 2024 edition of the International VELUX Award! The competition challenges students to explore the limitless potential of daylight in architecture and envision the ‘Light of Tomorrow.’
Registration is free, and all current architecture students from anywhere in the world can participate, provided they are backed by a teacher from an architecture school.
For more information, visit the Award’s official website.
The International VELUX Award challenges students to explore ways to harness daylight for the well-being of people who live and work in buildings. The competition encourages thinking ‘outside the box,’ a trait that students tend to excel at. They are offered the opportunity to rethink daylighting design and develop ideas for healthy buildings that decrease energy consumption and increase indoor comfort.
A jury consisting of internationally renowned architects will evaluate the projects using specific criteria.
- The work with daylighting as a premise for architecture
- How the project is researched and documented
- How the project addresses contemporary and future challenges
- The level of experimentation and innovation
- The overall graphic presentation of the project, how the project presents itself
Fees and Prizes
- Registration for the award is free.
The total prize money is up to 30,000 €
- 2 global winners
- 10 regional winners
- Several honorable mentions will be selected
A jury of highly experienced and renowned experts will evaluate the projects. They each vary in national background, emphasizing the global scope of the competition, and they have been appointed in collaboration with the International Union of Architects (UIA).
- Jennni Reuter - Jenni Reuter, from Finland, is an Associate Professor in Architectural Principles and Theory at Aalto University. Jenni focuses on how to forge a sustainable future. She investigates the rapidly evolving role of the architect, new pedagogical models, and how architecture and other disciplines of art interweave.
- Ewa Kurylowicz - Ewa Kurylowicz, from Poland, is Vice President & General designer of the architectural office Kurylowicz & Associates, President of the board of the Stefan Kurylowicz Foundation, and Professor at Faculty of Architecture, Warsaw University of Technology. Ewa has enjoyed a distinguished career that recently earned her the Honorary award in 2021 for outstanding merits for Polish architecture by the Association of Polish Architects.
- Song Yehao - Prof. Dr. Song Yehao, from China, is the principle and co-founder of SUP Atelier, Deputy Chief Architect of THAD, and a tenured professor and the Director of the Institute of Architecture and Technology within the School of Architecture at Tsinghua University. Song has completed over 20 projects that adopt holistic sustainable methods and have earned worldwide recognition.
- Alberto Veiga - Alberto Veiga, from Spain, studied architecture at the Escuela Técnica Superior de Arquitectura de Navarra and in 2004, together with Fabrizio Barozzi, he founded the office Barozzi Veiga. Alberto has received numerous awards in national and international competitions and has been invited to present his work in his home country and elsewhere, including the United States, Germany, and Chile.
- Kent Holm - Kent Holm, from Denmark, is Senior Vice President for Brand Marketing in VELUX and has a multinational background within business development, marketing management, product management and service innovation. Kent’s expertise involves innovation models, business development and digital transformation.
- 1 September 2023 Registration opened
- 1 April 2024 Registration closes (deadline 23:59 UTC-12)
- 15 April 2024 Submission upload opens
- 30 May 2024 Submission upload ends (deadline 23:59 UTC-12)
- Summer 2024 Regional winners announcement
- Fall/Winter 2024 Regional winners workshop/ presentations to the jury / Global winners announcement
Register for the International VELUX Award for students of architecture here and visit the award’s official website to find inspiration, explore previous projects, winners and for more details on the competition.
Comment as :