JURY SELECTED TO JUDGE 2013 BURNHAM PRIZE COMPETITION: NEXT STOP - DESIGNING CHICAGO BRT STATIONS AND DEADLINE EXTENDED
Stanley Tigerman, Gordon Gill and Carol Ross Barney among judges for 2013 Burnham Prize Competition: NEXT STOP, which focuses on designing transit stations that can transform space and community
Chicago, Illinois, May 13, 2013-- The Chicago Architectural Club and the Chicago Architecture Foundation, in partnership with the City of Chicago, Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) and Chicago Bus Rapid Transit Steering Committee, today announced the jury for the 2013 Burnham Prize Competition: NEXT STOP – Designing BRT Stations for Chicago. The jurors are a who’s who of Chicago architecture and landscape architecture:
- Gordon Gill, Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture
- Cheri Heramb, AECOM
- Gabe Klein, Chicago Department of Transportation (CDOT)
- Pat Natke, UrbanWorks Architecture
- Peter Osler, Illinois Institute of Technology
- Carol Ross Barney, Ross Barney Architects
- Rebekah Scheinfeld, Chicago Transit Authority (CTA)
- Stanley Tigerman, Tigerman McCurry Architecture
This single-stage international design ideas competition is intended to be a catalyst for iconic, sustainable, and functional design for Chicago’s planned Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) system. BRT promises to provide riders with faster, more reliable and easy-to-use public transit.
The competition seeks to integrate innovative and compelling transportation design into Chicago’s urban fabric. NEXT STOP seeks proposals that realize BRT as a system of solutions: teams will submit designs for three different sites, demonstrating how BRT station design can be adapted to different contexts. Competitors will design stations for:
- Downtown near State and Madison
- Bucktown-Logan Square at Western Avenue Blue Line ‘L’ stop
- Pilsen near18th and Ashland
Entry information, including a complete set of rules, can be found at www.chicagoarchitecturalclub.org and are due by noon, May 21, 2013.
Winner of the 2013 Burnham Prize will be announced at an event at Chicago Architectural Foundation on June 6, 2013.
Comment as :