Steedman Fellowship 2021: Disruption
Register/Submit Deadline: Monday, Nov 15, 202111:59 PMCST
Call for Proposals!
2021 Theme: Disruption
We are living in disruptive times as we live out the Anthropocene, defined by climate crisis driving unprecedented current and future weather extremes and an ongoing global pandemic, alongside centuries of systemic racism in stark need of addressing. In order to rapidly pivot from current trajectories, the IPCC* has called for urgent disruption to change course. Radical solutions are required at all scales and systems. How does Architecture—in all its modalities—disrupt and drive change? How can architecture have a measurable impact? What are the disruptions to define the next decade? And will they redefine design?
The Steedman is an award that fosters international research in architecture through investigations outside of one’s home country. In light of the COVID-19 and climate crises, extra consideration will be given to creative proposals that minimize carbon footprint.
* IPCC: The United Nations’ Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change
Proposals are due November 15, 2021 at 11:59PM CST via the SlideRoom application portal.
- Mary Ann Lazarus, FAIA, LEED Fellow
Consultant, The Cameron MacAllister Group Adjunct Faculty, Washington University in St. Louis
- Shantel Blakely
Assistant Professor, Sam Fox School of Design & Visual Arts, Washington University in St. Louis
- Billy Fleming
Founding Wilks Family Director, The Ian L. McHarg Center, Weitzman School of Design, University of Pennsylvania Co-director, climate + community project (ccp)
- Janette Kim
Assistant Professor, California College of the Arts and Director, Urban Works Agency Founding Principal, All of the Above
- Marsha Maytum, FAIA, LEED AP
Founding Principal, Leddy Maytum Stacy Architects (LMSA)
The Steedman Fellowship is open to anyone, anywhere in the world, who has received an accredited degree in architecture within the last eight years. Fellows must be able to complete their proposed projects within 18 months of receiving the award.
Additionally, at the conclusion of their fellowship, Fellows must make arrangements to share their research with the Washington University and local AIA architectural communities. The exact presentation format will be decided between the Fellow and the Governing Committee, but it could take the form of a public lecture, exhibition, or collaborative design workshop.
QUESTIONS? Visit our FAQ page for answers.
The next Steedman Fellow will be selected based upon the following: the merits of the research proposal; its relevance to the theme; its relevance to the practice of architecture in St. Louis, MO, and around the world; the quality of the portfolio; and evidence of the applicant’s promise to the field and ability to complete the work proposed. Extra consideration will be given to creative proposals that minimize carbon footprint.
All applications must be submitted in English online via the Slideroom link. The application fee is $75. Application materials must include:
A PDF document that encompasses:
- Project title
- Project abstract (200 words max) summarizing the proposed research question/s in reference to the theme and primary location/s for study. This abstract will be used for various purposes, including the announcement of the winner and in web, print, and digital promotions.
- Research proposal (1500 words max) framing the research questions and relationship of proposed research to the broader theme, relevance to the field, and projected outcomes of the study. Describe how research will be conducted in the location/s specified including a rough itinerary, established contacts, and anticipated deliverables. Your proposal may include images or graphics to illustrate your ideas, but these are not required.
- Budget and time frame for completion (200 words max)
- Short bio (200 words). This bio will be used for various purposes, including the announcement of the winner and web, print, and digital promotions.
Portfolio of work formatted into a single high-quality PDF file of 10-15 pages (20MB max.).
Applicants will be notified by email of the results, and winners will be announced on our website.
Click here and apply today!
Comment as :