More details, please visit our official homepage.
Architecture is not simply about space and form, but also about event, action and what happens in space. ——《The Manhattan Transcripts》by BERNARD TSCHUMI
URS China Interactive Public Art Installation Design Competition 2020 LINGYUN LANE is open to art institutes, design and digital media institutes and universities across the world, where the installation will be placed in an urban renewal project “Lingyun Lane” in Xuhui District, Shanghai, China.
The competition is jointly launched by URS China (an operation platform of urban renewal and development in China) and Young Bird Plan (an international design competition brand), which calls for submissions of interactive public art installation designed for the project of Lingyun Lane through the participation of professionals and enthusiasts in the arts, design and digital media circles, so as to make the project more artistic, interesting and interactive. Besides, the possibility of urban renewal project activation shall be also further explored and discussed.
Meanwhile, the installation will become the distinctive symbol of URS China’s urban renewal projects. A series of creative and unique entrances will create a culture of art community by integrating interactive art and public life. Also, the installation will bring people closer together by interacting with surrounding users so as to improve the environmental quality and people’s happiness.
The project of Lingyun Lane is located in No. 400 Tiandeng Road, Xuhui District, Shanghai, China (in Lingyun sub-district ) with a long history, profound culture, strong science and technology. And it lays in the center of Caohejing-Huajing-the Belt of Innovation and Start-up under Xuhui District’s 13th five-year plan.
Lingyun Lane is 2 kilometers away from Shanghai South Railway Station, accessible directly by Bus No. 156. ECUST metro station to be opened in 2020. Around the project, there is East China University of Science and Technology, Shanghai High School and other famous schools. Besides, 200,000 residents live in the communities nearby, which makes the project a gathering place.
With the project of “Lingyun Lane” by URS China, it is expected to keep people’s warm memory towards the community in such fast-paced development of urban renovation.
The inclusive and open space will connect people closely and create more possibilities in community life. People are encouraged to reconstruct the city, keep the warmth of the community and input more energetic blood so as to build a creative community of new ecology.
Note: For detailed information of Lingyun Lane, please download the documents (Part 3).
The competition aims to create distinctive entrances for URS China’s urban renewal project Lingyun Lane, which is located in No. 400 Tiandeng Road, Xuhui District, Shanghai, China. It is expected to bring people closely with the project, interact positively with users and show the inclusiveness and openness of the urban living room through the interactive public art installation.
Lou Yongqi Dean of the College of Design and Innovation at Tongji University
Michel Hössler Founding partner of Agence Ter & French
Zhuang Shen Founding partner and chief architect of Atelier Archmixing
Zhang Jiajing Community planner of the LingyunStreet in Xuhui District & chief architect of Atelier GOM Architecture (Shanghai)
James Chou Managing Director & CEO of Microsoft for Startups
Joe Gagnon Managing Director，Head of Asia Real Estate
Cao Yu Founder of URS China & Vice president of Chartered Institute of Building at China
Isa Ye Founder of designverse, Founder of Young Bird Plan
The installation will be placed in the public space of URS China’s project “Lingyun Lane” after renovation.
Key note about the entrance: Location A is the base of the entrance.
Key note about the moving route of the crane-style installation: start from the gallery on the first floor, walk through the gallery and the overpass on the second floor is the exit. You may find the map on our website.
Task 1: interactive public art installation
Custom themes with its construction scope in location A (L: 4 meters; W: 4 meters; H: 4.5 meters).
Task 2: interactive public art installation with the theme of paper crane.
Design an interactive public art installation in location A based on the concept of paper crane in the landscape design plan. Meanwhile, the interactive relationship between the installation and Lingyun Lane shall be considered. (Please find more details about the landscape project on our website by downloading the competition documents - part 3).
Requirements of the interactive public art installations:
1. The core elements of the project shall be reflected: renovation, warmth, vitality.
2. The installation shall be interactive in terms of the way and period.
3. This competition aims to promote URS China’s urban renewal projects and improve its brand quality by calling for submissions and realizing the installations.
Evaluation principles include but not limited to below:
1. The jury panel will evaluate submissions in terms of the artistry, science and technology, interaction and fun. A submission which is unique, creative and has powerful social influence will be preferred.
2. Participants shall respect local culture and give enough thought about the design theme, project orientation and spatial coordination.
3. Project budget shall be also considered based on the installation implementation. The cost of task 1 shall be within 150,000 RMB and task 2 shall be within 250,000 RMB (the manufacturing cost of paper crane in the gallery will be not included).
1. People majored in digital media and information like digital media technology, visual communication design, design and programming, digital image processing, computer graphics, interactive media technology and streaming media technology and people in the major of design like architecture design, art design and landscape design and other enthusiasts are encouraged to participate in this competition.
2. Group participation with interdisciplinary members are preferred, as interdisciplinary combination helps the concept design in the previous stage, the program design, test and construction simulation in the middle period and the practical construction management and program realization in the final period. The group shall be within 4 members, and each group can submit at most 2 submissions.
3. All group members shall register on our website (www.designverse.com.cn) and for more Q & A, please visit the official website.
2020.01.21 Call for entries
2020.04.14 Submission deadline
2020.04.27 Release of shortlisted winners
2020.05.08 Release of Top 30 & Public voting open
2020.06.03 Public voting close
2020.06.11 Release of Top 3 and the Champion
Deadline for submission: April 14th, 2020 23:59 (GMT + 8)
All contents are subject to designverse official website
1winner; 60,000 RMB (pre-tax); Certificate of Honor
2winners; 15,000 RMB each (pre-tax); Certificate of Honor
27 winners; Certificate of Top 30 Honor
Certificate of Shortlist Honor
1. Aerial images of the competition site in three dimensions: S, M, L
2. Street view images of the site (before renovation)
3. Site information after renovation including renderings, architectural design concept and landscape design concept.
4. White mold model of the site after reconstruction in the form of SketchUp
5. Site introduction
6. Other relevant documents including plan, map of mass entrepreneurship and innovation and videos
7. Submission examples
Please download the documents on our website.
① Please register by logging into our website: www.designverse.com.cn
②For the latest information about this competition, please follow our official WeChat account: designverse设计宇宙 or our official Weibo account: @designverse设计宇宙;
③ You can directly contact the competition team by adding YoungBirdPlan as one of your Wechat friends. We remain at your service here for any further questions you may have.
Comment as :