Without a doubt, wood never goes out of style. Wood Design & Building Magazine of the Canadian Wood Council celebrated the latest winners of their annual Wood Design Awards program, which highlights projects in North America — and a few international ones — that demonstrate excellence and inventiveness in wood architecture.
Many of the entries paid tribute to older building techniques or brought new approaches to building envelope and design, according to Etienne Lalonde, Vice President of Market Development for the Canadian Wood Council, in a press statement.
Out of 166 entries submitted online, the jury selected 24 projects, including Shigeru Ban Architects' Aspen Art Museum, Refuge on the Bay of Fundy by MacKay-Lyons Sweetapple Architects, and a dental clinic in Mino, Osaka, Japan by Kohki Hiranuma Architect & Associates.
Check out some photos of the winners and the full list of recipients.
- Wood Innovation Design Centre, Prince George, BC, Michael Green Architecture
- Refuge on the Bay of Fundy, Red Bank Farm, Hants County, NS, MacKay-Lyons Sweetapple Architects
- Aspen Art Museum, Aspen, CO, Shigeru Ban Architects
- BC Passive House Plant, Pemberton, BC, Hemsworth Architecture
- University of British Columbia Earth Sciences Building, Vancouver, BC, Perkins+Will
- Marvin Hall Forum, Lawrence, KS, The University of Kansas School of Architecture, Design & Planning, Studio 804
- Borden Park Pavilion, Edmonton, AB, Gh3 Architects
- Askew’s Uptown Food Store, Salmon Arm, BC, Allen + Maurer Architects Ltd.
- Siège social Desjardins, Caisse de l’Ouest de la Mauricie, Louiseville, QC, Atelier Pierre Thibault
- Ronald McDonald House British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Michael Green Architecture
- Elizabeth II, Amagansett, NY, Bates Masi + Architects
- TD Place Stadium at Lansdowne Park, Ottawa, ON , CannonDesign
- Muckleshoot Smokehouse, Auburn, WA, Mahlum Architects
- TED Vancouver 2014 ‘Next Chapter’ Theatre Seating Structure and Interior Design at the Vancouver Convention Centre West, Vancouver, BC , Rockwell Group
- Brillhart House , Miami, FL, Brillhart Architecture
- Home Ranch Welcome Center, Jackson, WY, Carney Logan Burke Architects
CANADIAN WOOD COUNCIL AWARDS
- Block Island Residence, Block Island, RI, Bohlin Cywinski Jackson
- Bow River Bridge, Banff, AB, StructureCraft Builders
SUSTAINABLE FORESTRY INITIATIVE – SPONSORSHIP AWARD: Askew’s Uptown Food Store, Salmon Arm, BC, Allen + Maurer Architects Ltd.
WESTERN RED CEDAR – SPONSORSHIP AWARD: Elizabeth II, Amagansett, NY, Bates Masi + Architects
- Vineyard at the Lake of Constance, Hattnau 62, Germany, Elmar Ludescher Architekt
- Sport Center Sargans, Sargans, Switzerland, Blue Architects and Ruprecht Architekten
- Serlachius Museum “Gösta Pavilion” Mänttä, Mänttä, Finland, MX - SI architectural studio and Huttunen - Lipasti - Pakkanen Architects Oy
- Timber Dentistry, Mino Osaka, Japan, Kohki Hiranuma Architect & Associates
The 2014 Jury featured:
- Larry McFarland, Principal of McFarland Marceau Architects Ltd.
- Brigitte Shim, Principal of Shim-Sutcliffe Architects
- Keith Boswell, Technical Partner at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill
Comment as :