RIBA recently announced 30 buildings in the running to win the inaugural International Prize. First announced this past December, the International Prize is RIBA's first award that is open to an architect based anywhere in the world. The prize is RIBA's own version of recognizing the world's best new building of the year that, as the Institute describes, exemplifies innovative building design and excellence in execution — regardless of style, size of scheme and budget, and complexity.
For the prize's first edition, buildings had to be built within the last three years (later editions will consider buildings completed within two years). No doubt that the call for submissions attracted hundreds of projects. The Grand Jury — chaired by Richard Rogers and recently welcoming Billie Tsien as their newest member — selected 30 projects (including some very familiar structures) spanning 20 countries to visit this summer.
The competition will then be reduced to 20 projects, from which the final six will be selected in the fall. Finally, one will be crowned the Prize winner in December.
Keep reading to see the full list of projects and a selection of photos.
- Angdong Hospital in Baojing County, China by Rural Urban Framework
- Arquipelago Contemporary Arts Centre in Ribeira Grande, The Azores by Menos é Mais, Arquitectos Associados João Mendes Ribeiro Arquitecto, Lda.
- Buenos Aires Ciudad Casa de Gobierno in Buenos Aires, Argentina by Foster + Partners, Berdichevsky Cherny Arquitectos & StudioMinond UPE DG MDU GCBA
- Culture House Rozet in Arnhem, Netherlands by Neutelings Riedijk Architects
- DLR Lexicon in Dún Laoghaire Co, Dublin, Ireland by Carr Cotter Naessens
- Europaallee Baufeld E in Zurich, Switzerland by Caruso St John Architects, Bosshard Vaquer Architekten
- European Hansemuseum in Lübeck, Germany by Studio Andreas Heller Architects & Designers
- Farming Kindergarten in Bien Hoa City, Vietnam by Vo Trong Nghia Architects
- Fine Arts Museum of Asturias in Oviedo, Spain by Francisco Mangado Mangado y Asociados
- Fulton Center in New York, USA by Grimshaw, HDR, Page Ayres Cowley Architects
- Heydar Aliyev Centre in Baku, Azerbaijan by Zaha Hadid Architects, DiA Holding
- Invisible House in Hampton Australia by Peter Stutchbury Architecture
- Jockey Club Innovation in Hung Hom, Hong Kong by Zaha Hadid Architects
- Museo Jumex in Mexico City, Mexico by David Chipperfield Architects, Taller Abierto de Arquitectura y Urbanismo (TAAU)
- Office Building Moganshan Road in Hangshou, China by David Chipperfield Architects
- Oita Prefecture Art Museum in Oita, Japan by Shigeru Ban Architects
- PARKROYAL on Pickering in Singapore by WOHA Architects Pte. Ltd.
- Public Library of Constitucion in Constitucion, Chile by Sebastian Irarrazaval Arquitectos
- Qatar Faculty of Islamic Studies in Doha, Qatar by Mangera Yvars Architects Ltd
- Rundeskogen in Stravanger, Norway by dRMM Architects / Helen and Hard Architects
- Saint Louis Art Museum in St. Louis, USA by David Chipperfield Architects, HOK
- Saint Trinitatis Catholic Church in Leipzig, Germany by Schulz und Schulz
- Sancaklar Mosque in Büyükçekmece/Istanbul, Turkey by EAA - Emre Arolat Architecture
- Sky Terrace in Soo Khian Chan, Singapore by SCDA Architects Pte Ltd
- St Angela's College Cork in Cork, Ireland by O'Donnell + Tuomey
- Stormen Concert Hall, Theatre and Public Library in Bodø, Norway by DRDH Architects
- The Ring of Remembrance, International WWI Memorial of Notre Dame de Lorette in Ablain Saint Nazaire, France by Agence d’architecture Philippe Prost
- Tula House in Heriot Bay, Quadra Island, Canada by Patkau Architects
- UTEC Universidad de Ingenieria y Tecnologia in Peru, Lima by Grafton Architects, Shell Arquitectos
- VIA at West 57th in New York, USA by BIG | Bjarke Ingels Group, SLCE Architects
Comment as :