London's Design Museum today announced the nominees for the Brit Insurance Designs of the Year 2011. The nominated designs are listed in seven award categories: Architecture, Fashion, Furniture, Graphics, Interactive, Product, and Transport. An exhibition of all shortlisted entries is taking place from February 16 – August 7, 2011. The winner will be announced at the awards dinner on March 15, 2011.
Stephen Bayley, one of the founders of the Design Museum, chairs the 2011 jury and is joined by art and design curator Janice Blackburn, graphic designer Mark Farrow, novelist Will Self, Pro Vice-Chancellor of Kingston University Penny Sparke and Simon Waterfall co-founder of digital agency Poke.
Following are the nominees in the Architecture section:
- Vitrahaus – Weil Am Rhine, Germany, by Herzog & de Meuron. Client: Vitra Verwaltungs Gmbh
- A Forest for a Moon Dazzler, Guanacaste, Costa Rica, by Benjamin Garcia Saxe
- Balancing Barn, Suffolk, UK, by MVRDV. Co-architect: Mole Architects. Client: Living Architecture
- 1111 Lincoln Road, Miami Beach, USA, by Robert Wennett and Herzog & de Meuron
- Concrete Canvas Shelters, UK, by Concrete Canvas (Peter Brewin, William Crawford and Phillip Greer)
- Ladakh Commonwealth Peace Pavilion and Classroom, Tibet, by Sergio Palleroni and Basic Initiative
- Burj Khalif, Dubai, United Arab Emirates, by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill Llp (Som). Client: Emaar
- Nottingham Contemporary, UK, by Caruso St John Architects. Client: Nottingham City Council
- UK Pavilion, Shanghai Expo 2010, China, by Thomas Heatherwick Studio
- Stonebridge Hillside Hub, Greater London, by Edward Cullinan Architects. Client: Hyde Housing Association/Hillside Action Trust
- Tape Installations, Austria/Croatia, by For Use/Numen
- Media-Tic Building, Barcelona, by Enric Ruiz-Geli and Cloud 9
- University of Oxford: Department of Earth Sciences, UK, by Wilkinson Eyre Architects. Client: University of Oxford
- Open-Air-Library Magdeburg, Germany, by Karo Architekten and Architektur+Netzwerk. Client: Landeshaupstadt Magdeburg
- Void House, Belgium, by Gon Zifroni in collaboration with Pom-Archi Fashion
Click here to also see the nominees in the other award categories.
Comment as :