Shortlisted finalists for the 2024 edition of the MJ Long Prize for Excellence in Practice and Moira Gemmill Prize for Emerging Architecture have been announced along with the winner of the Prize for Research in Gender and Architecture by the W Awards as part of its annual program honoring the achievements of women in the field of architecture and design.
The research awards are presented by UK-based publications Architects’ Journal and The Architectural Review in addition to the Ada Louise Huxtable Prize and Jane Drew Prize for Architecture, whose winners were revealed earlier this month as Iwona Buczkowska and Angela Davis, respectively.
Moira Gemmill Prize for Emerging Architecture 2024 Shortlist:
- Kim Courrèges, partner of Plan Común, based in Paris, France
- Joana Dabaj, co-founder of Catalytic Action, based in Beirut, Lebanon
- Nguyễn Hà, founder of ARB Architects, based in Hanoi, Vietnam
- Noelia Monteiro, co-founder of Estúdio Flume, based in São Paulo, Brazil
MJ Long Prize for Excellence in Practice 2024 shortlist:
- Jennifer Frewen of Takero Shimazaki Architects, for the Royal Academy of Dance in London, United Kingdom
- Laura O’Brien of James Gorst Architects, for Castle Community Rooms in Framlingham, United Kingdom
- Sela-Jaymes Taylor of Gort Scott, for Three Mills Studios in London, United Kingdom
- Michelle Wong of vPPR Architects, for White House School in London, United Kingdom
The second winner of the W Awards Prize for Research in Gender and Architecture has been announced as the Swedish architectural collective Mycket for their installation Heaven, the culmination of several years of research into the architecture of queer nightclubs.
Kristina Rapacki, assistant editor of The Architectural Review, commented: "As these spaces continue to suffer under crackdowns, regressive legislation, and the overwhelming forces of gentrification, Mycket’s work shows us how vital nightclubs are to cities and queer communities around the world."
The winners of both the MJ Long and Moira Gemmill prizes will be announced on Thursday, March 7th, from the Canadian Centre for Architecture in Montreal.
RELATED NEWS The W Awards announces recipients of the 2023 Moira Gemmill and MJ Long Prize
RELATED NEWS Angela Davis and Iwona Buczkowska named winners of the 2024 Ada Louise Huxtable Prize and Jane Drew Prize for Architecture
Comment as :