Reinventing Housing in the South: Competition for Public Housing Design of Jiangong Community in Shenzhen Nanshan is now officially launched. Design teams all around the world are welcome to participate.
Housing is always one of the core topics of modern and contemporary architecture. Le Corbusier considered it the "substance" of the city. Housing and monuments are defined by Aldo Rossi as the two main permanences in the city: "monuments" are primary elements which are persistent and distinguished from housing, the other primary element shaping the "fabric" of the city.
The major achievements in housing design constitute important nodes in the history of architecture. A series of housing exhibitions and development in the twentieth century have become milestones of modern and contemporary architectural history. In the 1920s, the Weissenhof Estate (Weißenhofsiedlung) in Stuttgart, Germany showed clearly to the world that: Modern architecture is growing into a "movement" affecting the lives of all human beings. In the 1980s, the IBA (International Building Exhibition) in Berlin, Germany strongly promoted the spread of post-modern urbanism and architectural trends in the post-Cold War era. In the 1990s, Arata Isozaki invited world-leading architects of the time to build the Nexus World Housing in Fukuoka, Japan. Leveraging the power of Japan's economic boom, it contributed to close communication of architecture across the world. After the millennium, the IBA in Hamburg, Germany put forward the topics of low-cost, environmentally friendly and intelligent housing, reflecting the spirit of the times. Meanwhile, in a broad sense, areas with strong architectural culture development are often the places where housing design innovations burst out, for example, Europe and Japan both under post-war reconstruction, and South America and India, which became independent from colonial rules.
Needless to say, except for the architectural cultural environment, the national housing policy is a decisive factor, which has a fundamental impact on public housing design. Why do innovations in public housing emerge in Northern Europe and Singapore? High welfare policies in residence, the government's attention to public housing which is considered a product as well as culture, respect and encouragement for design innovations in housing, etc. are the reasons.
After more than 30 years of rapid development in the marketization and commercialization of housing, today, public housing developed and supplied by the government, as the means to balance the housing market and promote social equity, is becoming a focus and direction of exploration in China's housing reform again. A number of excellent public housing cases have been built in Beijing, Shanghai, Jiangsu and Zhejiang, etc. They reflected the urban social issues and residential design problems, and had proved to the world that: excellent spatial quality and innovation on typology can be achieved in public housing even on the basis of satisfying quantity, restrict indices and cost limitation.
01 Competition Objectives
Reinventing Housing in the South: Competition for Public Housing Design of Jiangong Community in Shenzhen Nanshan is organized by the Bureau of Public Works of Nanshan District, Shenzhen, and co-organized by Position Architecture Co., Ltd, Shenzhen. The original purpose of this competition is "to equip public housing with the power to influence the society". As a pilot project in Shenzhen to explore a new model for public housing, the competition will try to break the constraint of the traditional commercial housing development model on architectural design. The competition will give full play to the public and social characteristics of the project, because it is a public development as well as the affordable housing. It is hoped that through this competition, a public housing design scheme which is open, comfortable for living, with humanity and has Shenzhen's city imprint will be selected for this project. The project will be built into a precedent for high-density residences and public communities in the southern China.
The competition will provide architects with ample freedom for creation and design. It is believed that the forward-looking design will become the core driving force for housing reform and innovation.
02 Design Principles
In 2021, the completion of Baiziwan Public Rental Housing aroused another heated discussion on public housing and decent living in China. The architect MA Yansong proposed eight new goals to tackle on the current problems of Chinese housing and what "ideal living" is in the Le Residentiel Réinventé. He called on architects, those with the most humanistic spirit, and those who pursue design and individuality, to devote themselves to this new housing movement.
This competition draws on the concepts put forward in the Le Residentiel Réinventé and combines local housing policies, population characteristics and urban environment to explore "new housing" designs with more southern/Shenzhen characteristics. Based on this, the theme of this competition is "Reinventing Housing in the South". These design principles shall be followed:
The Living Comfort in High Density
High density is the reality of Shenzhen's urban environment. Existing spatial strategies such as three-dimensional blocks, mixed-use development and shared communities, etc., as well as any new solutions, shall pursue breakthrough at the humanistic level to achieve the balance between high density and comfortable living.
With a higher standard of social services and a better public environment, the design shall create real public interactions instead of spaces that only "look public".
Inclusion and Social Equity
As a typical immigrant city, Shenzhen’s residential community needs to accommodate the uniqueness and richness of individuals, so that residents can feel fairness and find a sense of belonging. Interpret social equity as an architectural issue and seek answers from the perspectives of spatial design.
Bring multiple business formats inside. Activate the near-ground spaces of a high-rise residential community with systematic strategies, create an all-weather open block with a "living atmosphere", and integrate into urban life.
Being Refreshing and Good-Looking
Considering the impact of the project on the city landscape, the design shall create a refreshing and high-quality architectural appearance among the buildings in Shenzhen at a limited cost.
Low-Carbon with "Low-Tech"
Green and low-carbon is not a fashionable slogan. The design should improve the quality of architectural spaces in accordance with local conditions including the Lingnan climate, and achieve low-carbon with "low-tech" through simple strategies.
Plenty of Flexible Spaces
The design should provide more possibilities for individuals to use the space creatively and spontaneously. The design should provide more high-quality flexible spaces.
03 Project Overview
The project site consists of 2 plots (Plot 05-02, Plot 05-04). The design team must participate in the design of the 2 plots at the same time. The 2 plots should be planned and designed as a whole; Please noted that the technical and economic indices of the 2 plots should be calculated separately.
The project is located in the Nantou Sub-district of Nanshan District, Shenzhen, at the border of Nanshan District and Bao'an District. It is adjacent to Jiangong Community Affordable Housing (Phase I), Guangzhou-Shenzhen Expressway and Zhongshanyuan Rd. The total site area of the project is about 51168 square meters. The project contains public rental housing, commerce, and supporting facilities including a kindergarten with 18 classes, an express delivery station, and a bus terminal station, etc.
The site area of Plot 05-02 is about 32315 square meters, and the FAR is 6.0. The tentative total investment is RMB 2196.25 million, of which the construction and installation fee is RMB 1775.03 million.
The site area of Plot 05-04 is about 18853 square meters, and the FAR is 6.0. The tentative total investment is RMB 1281.28 million, of which the construction and installation fee is RMB 1032.42 million.
Scan the QR code below to see the panorama of the site.
04 Competition Rules
The competition is an open call for design schemes and teams all around the world. The competition consists of 3 phases which are the concept proposal phase, design competition phase, and final evaluation phase.
Phase I: Concept Proposal Phase
The applicant shall submit a concept proposal and the Company Profile and Credit Files. The concept proposal should be A3 booklets with 10 single-sided printed pages and 2 pieces of A1 presentation boards. The content should focus on the key strategies on the project's complex problems. Over-commercialized renderings are not encouraged. The review of Phase I consists of two steps.
Step I: The review materials will be "anonymous". The Concept Proposal Review Committee will only review the valid concept proposals, and select 10 applicants (without ranking) to enter Step II by open ballot (round-by-round voting).
Step II: The review materials will be "non-anonymous". The Concept Proposal Review Committee will comprehensively review the materials from the 10 applicants selected in Step I. The materials include concept proposals, project experiences and proposed design team members. The concept proposal will be dominant, while the team and the experiences will be auxiliary. The committee will select 5 shortlisted applicants (without ranking) and 2 alternative applicants (with ranking) by open ballot (round-by-round voting). The shortlisted applicants will enter Phase II. If any of the shortlisted applicants withdraw, the alternative applicants will replace in ranking order.
Phase II: Design Competition Phase
In Phase II, the review materials will be "non-anonymous". The shortlisted applicants will go to a site visit, on which they will also communicate with the competent authority, the construction department, and the operator, before they submit a complete design scheme. A presentation and Q&A session will be held, then the Scheme Review Committee will select 3 finalists (without ranking) and 2 Shortlisted Prize winners (without ranking) by open ballot (round-by-round voting). The finalists will enter Phase III. The Shortlisted Prize winners will receive corresponding prize money.
Phase III: Final Evaluation Phase
The organizer will select 1 First Prize, 1 Second Prize and 1 Third Prize from the finalists. The winners of different prizes will receive corresponding awards.
* The competition results of each phase will be published on the WeChat official account "youfang502", and the project homepage, etc.
The schedule of this competition is subject to Beijing time (UTC+8). Further notice will be given if there is any change.
06 Online Information Session
To help design teams better understand the project background, vision and the site situation, an online information session will be held. Design teams intending to participate in this competition are welcome to join.
If there is any question or anything about this competition that you want to know, please send an inquiry email to the inquiry email address ([email protected]) before 17:00, June 17, 2023 (UTC+8). We will answer them on the session.
16:00 - 17:00, June 19, 2023 (UTC+8)
2. To Participate：
1) Search for "youfang502" (ID) in WeChat Channels, hit “Livestream” to enter.
2) If you are unable to join the meeting on WeChat Channels, you can also input the meeting ID and password on "Zoom Meetings" to join.
Meeting ID: 826 0610 0865
3) There is no playback for the livestream.
07 Application Requirements
1. There is no qualification requirement.
2. The domestic applicant (company) should be an independent legal entity (except for a design studio established according to The Partnership Enterprise Law of the People's Republic of China) with a valid business license. The overseas (including Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan) applicant (company) should be a legal enterprise or institution with a valid business registration certificate. An individual or a group of individuals is not accepted.
3. A company could apply alone as an applicant, or form a consortium applicant (Hereinafter referred to as consortium) with other companies. The consortium should meet the following requirements:
1) One consortium consists of no more than 3 members (including the leading member).
2) The consortium members should sign a legal Consortium Agreement provided in the Work Rules, to specify the work content, work distribution and equity share.
3) Each member of the consortium should not apply alone or participate in another consortium, otherwise, all relevant applications will be deemed invalid.
4. Two or more legal entities with the same legal representative (business partner), a parent company and its wholly-owned subsidiaries, and companies that has a holding or management relationship is regarded as the same applicant and not allowed to apply as different applicants at the same time.
5. The applicant (consortium) should designate 1 project leader and 1 to 3 chief designers (with ranking) in the application documents.
6. Special requirements for an overseas company: To ensure the follow-up communication and that the technical indices of the scheme will meet the domestic standards, the shortlisted applicant (consortium) should consist of at least 1 domestic company when entering Phase II of the competition.
1) The overseas applicant which is not able to meet the requirement above should form a new consortium with 1 domestic company to participate in the follow-up phases after the announcement of the concept proposal review results and before submitting the Confirmation Letter (generally within 5 days after the announcement of the concept proposal review results). The applicant that meets the requirement above will not be allowed to add or change the consortium member.
2) Only 1 domestic company will be allowed to be added to the new consortium. In Phase II, one consortium consists of no more than 3 members in total.
3) The shortlisted company that has applied alone should be the leading member of the new consortium. The shortlisted applicant that has applied as a consortium must keep the original leading member unchanged. The original project leader and the chief designer(s) should be kept unchanged.
Note: To ensure that the applicant has an accurate understanding of the competition requirements, at least 1 of the major design team members should be a native Chinese speaker. The designer participating in this competition should be the registered staff of the design company to which he/she belongs. The project leader / chief designer must be truly responsible for the project, and participate in the whole process of the competition. The organizer has the right to disqualify the applicant if it is found that the actual project leader / chief designer does not match the person in the documents submitted.
08 Application Procedures
The applicant must complete both the official application (email application) and the application document submission before the corresponding deadline. Any failure in email application or application document submission will be regarded as an invalid application.
Please refer to the Work Rules for details.
Official Application (Email Application) Deadline: 17:00, July 6, 2023 (UTC+8)
Application Document Submission Deadline: 17:00, July 13, 2023 (UTC+8)
09 Prizes and Awards
* After the announcement of the competition results, if the First Prize scheme is confirmed to be the implementation scheme, the organizer will consider inviting the design company to provide subsequent design services for the project. The prize money of RMB 2 million received in this competition will be subtracted from the design fee. For work contents of the design contract and the calculation rules of the design fee, please refer to the content below.
10 Work Contents of the Design Contract and the Design Fee
For reference only. The final work contents and the design fee are subject to the design contract actually signed.
Work Contents of the Design Contract
The work contents of the design contract cover the schematic design and the architectural design development within the site boundaries, which include:
1. Schematic design;
2. Architectural design development;
3. Conceptual interior design of the standard unit types and important public spaces;
4. Conceptual landscape design;
5. Cooperating in the design development of other professions, the construction drawings, the project construction, controlling the effect and cooperating in applications for official design development and construction approvals;
6. The chief designer should provide necessary project quality assurance in the process of design development and construction (Chief Designer Responsibility System), which includes but is not limited to:
1) The chief designer is responsible for the design of the key architectural details which affect the important effect of the buildings;
2) The chief designer is responsible for checking all construction drawings and special design results that affect the overall effect of the building, such as architectural design, interior design, landscape, curtain wall, lighting, signage, etc. The chief designer should sign to confirm;
3) The chief designer is responsible for the selection and sampling of important materials, and assist in solving technical problems during the construction, and ensure high-quality implementation of the design scheme.
Please refer to the Design Brief for details of the work content and result requirements at each stage.
The design fee for the 2 plots should be calculated separately. The contract design fee is calculated according to the tentative construction and installation fee of each plot as the billing base. The construction and installation fee approved in the estimate document will be the final billing base during project settlement. The calculation rules are as follows: The basic design fee of the project is calculated according to the Engineering Survey and Design Charge Standard (Price  No. 10) formulated by the State Development Planning Commission and the Ministry of Construction. The total basic design fee of the project is calculated with the coefficient of specialty as 1, the coefficient of engineering complexity as 1.15, and the additional adjustment coefficient as 1. This contract design fee shall be 40% of the total basic design fee of each plot.
Based on the tentative construction and installation fee of Plot 05-02 which is RMB 1775.03 million, the contract design fee is RMB 18.34 million.
Based on the tentative construction and installation fee of Plot 05-04 which is RMB 1032.42 million, the contract design fee is RMB 11.32 million.
The total design fee of the 2 plots is tentatively RMB 29.66 million.
If the First Prize winner has already received the prize money, the design fee of the contract finally signed will be calculated according to the rules above and the prize money will be subtracted. The design fee will be subject to that finally approved by the audit department.
11 Intellectual Property Rights (Excerpts)
Please refer to the Work Rules for the complete content.
1. The applicant should ensure that all content of the design works is originally produced by itself and contains no content which may infringe on the intellectual property rights of a third party. The applicant must not plagiarize other people's work. Otherwise, the applicant involved in infringement shall bear all legal and economic consequences. The organizer has the right to disqualify the applicant from participating in this competition, and will not pay or request returning the bonus.
2. The intellectual property rights of the design works of the First Prize winner belong to the winner. For the design works of the First Prize winner, the organizer has the exclusive right to use the winning design works (only in this project) after paying the prize money. The intellectual property rights of the design works of the shortlisted but not-winning applicants (the winners of the Second Prize, the Third Prize and the Shortlisted Prizes) belong to their own. The organizer has the right to partially adopt and integrate the design ideas of the shortlisted but not-winning applicants without copying the original design in this project (only in this project) after paying the prize money.
3. The shortlisted applicant should obtain the prior written consent of the organizer before promoting its design works. The organizer and co-organizer have the right to use the design works for promotion, publication and display, while the name of the applicant should be mentioned.
4. Before the scheme review and the official announcement of the competition results, the applicant or other related personnel are not allowed to disclose, made public or display the design works or any competition-related information or materials in any manner without the permission of the organizer. Otherwise, the corresponding party will be investigated for legal liability and the applicant will be disqualified from participating in or winning the competition.
12 Material Download
The applicant must submit the material download application before the deadline. Once the application is approved, the co-organizer will send the download link of the competition materials by email. The materials include the Work Rules and the Design Brief, etc. Applicants which have pre-registered for material download before the official competition announcement, do not have to submit the material download application. Please check the email and download the materials in time.
Deadline for Material Download Application: 17:00, July 5, 2023 (UTC+8)
Documents for Material Download Application (JPG, within 5MB):
1. Scanned Copy of the Business License / Business Registration Certificate (with an Official Stamp)
2. Scanned Copy of the Project Contact Person's ID/Passport (with an Official Stamp)
For design teams that intend to participate, please scan the QR code or visit the link below to fill in the table for material download application. Please fill in the correct information so that the updates on the competition could be informed by the co-organizer in time.
If the qualified application is submitted before 17:00 (UTC+8) on workdays, the competition materials will be sent before 24:00 (UTC+8) on the same day; if submitted after 17:00 (UTC+8), they will be sent on the next workday. Please wait patiently.
13 Special Notes
The material download application is NOT an official application. The applicant should still complete the official application (email application) and the document submission according to the Work Rules.
For all information related to this official competition announcement, the Work Rules and related addendum and Q&A shall prevail. If there is any discrepancy between the Chinese version and the English version, the Chinese version shall prevail.
Bureau of Public Works of Nanshan District, Shenzhen
Position Architecture Co., Ltd, Shenzhen
Mr. LIN, +86-18038132407
Ms. CHEN, +86-19129915597
* Inquiry Hours: 9:00－12:00, 13:30－18:30 on Workdays (UTC+8)
Comment as :