Hosted by the Chicago Architecture Biennial (CAB), the CAB Student Ideas competition invites middle school and high school students from the Chicagoland area to explore and submit design proposals that can help play a role in "creating shared spaces and improving communities."
This year's brief asked students: "How can existing urban spaces be reimagined to better reflect the needs and interests of local residents?" Following the Biennial's theme The Available City, led by Artistic Director David Brown, the competition jury awarded first, second, and third place winners via a virtual ceremony. Student winners received cash and technology prizes.
Below are this year's winners and honorable mentions.
FIRST PRIZE - THE FLOATING VILLAGE
Design Team: ACE Chicago Team 5
Instructor: Hiba Bhatty and Matt Gilbert
SECOND PRIZE - PERSPECTIVE TOWER
Design Team: Owen Summers
Instructor: Mr. Devin Mays
School: Chi-Arts (Chicago High School for the Arts
THIRD PRIZE: GROCERY GARDEN - A Bodega for North Lawndale
Design Team: Rosina Iniguez, Ian Hudson, and Jason Hart
Instructor: David Rader
School: Jones College Prep and Muchin College Prep
- Arts Center at North Lawndale by Chloe Acosta, Maya Diaz, Angelynn Jimenez, Montserrat Lopez, Daveon Merrick, Devin Otto, Dominic Ridarelli, Max Rojas, Nicholas Tam, and Michael Wangler
- Arts N Parts - North Lawndale by Sebastian Aguilar-Ripley, Ayomide Ajayi, David Davila, Alejandro De la Fuente, Marshall Ellis, Thomas Lawless, Eduardo Mora, Earl Christian Valzado, and Wynton Wright
- Austin 2.0 by Ari Bates, Lazaria Brewer, Denim Cole, D'aja Dudley, Tyshawn Harris, Thelonious Johnson, Kenyatta Jordan, Keeontaye Mack, Stephanie Nelson, Jamesha Sumler, and Tiya Walls
- Chicagrow by Kaleia Maxey and Sabine Ramirez
- Modular Reimagination by Fernando Cisneros, Daniel Morales, and Elias Frey Reschly
- Safe Pedestrian Pathway Near South Shore's Grand Crossing by Sandra Varona
- Steam Park by Mia Fritsch-Anderson and Nina L.
To learn more about the 2021 CAB Student Ideas Competition and all its winners click here.
Comment as :