Students from The Bartlett, Harvard GSD, and SCI-Arc are among the 22 student projects selected for the 2020 Fentress Global Challenge
By Katherine Guimapang|
Monday, Sep 14, 2020
Since its official launch in 2011, Fentress Architects has held an open call for an annual international student design competition to encourage and support young emerging designers. This year's Fentress Global Challenge asks students to design new and innovative airport terminals. The competition's brief emphasizes that projects will be judged on their efforts towards sustainability, resiliency while tackling one of the following factors of an airport: mobility, urbanization, globalization, technology, flexibility, security, project feasibility, and passenger experience. The competition encourages entrants to "utilize forecasts for population, environmental conditions, modes of travel, and potential destinations in the creation of their concept."
With over 100 submitted entries from over 15 countries, 22 student projects have been selected for this year's shortlist.
- W.A.D, Floating Aero City – Hong Kong International Airport, Beijing Jiaotong University, Beijing, China
- Arch YiYang, The Vertebrae – Singapore Changi Airport, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- BANIYA, The Green Gateway – Indira Gandhi International Airport, Southern California Institute of Architecture (SCI-Arc), Los Angeles, California, USA
- Ajay Kamaleshwaran, CornUcopia – Indira Gandhi International Airport, Anna University School of Architecture and Planning, Chennai, India
- TIArch Studio, The Reserve – Indira Gandhi International Airport, Kazan State University of Architecture and Engineering, TIArch Studio, Kazan, Russia
- Qianqian YU, ReBABEL – Hong Kong International Airport, Special School of Architecture (École Spéciale d’Architecture), Paris, France
- Beyond Heathrow, A New Airport for London – Heathrow Airport, The Barlett – University College London, London, England
- S.T., Heathrow Healing Hub – Heathrow Airport, Tel-Aviv University, Tel-Aviv, Israel
- Schiphol International, Amsterdam Schiphol Airport, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
- ISM, Resonance of the Antiquity – Indira Gandhi International Airport, Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology, Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Lucy Janik, LAX Airport Relocation – Los Angeles International Airport, Cracow University of Technology, Kraków, Poland
- Qian Lin and Umica Yelavarthy, Shanghai Pudong International Airport of the Future, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
- Henry Alridge, A Built-In Obsolescence – Jakarta Soekarno-Hatta International Airport, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, England
- CGC, HK22 – Hong Kong International Airport, Harvard Graduate School of Design, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
- CRAB, Shanghai Pudong International Airport, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
- PRAXIS, Modular Floating Airport, Singapore University of Technology & Design, Singapore
- RIE, O’Pon on the Hill, Yogyakarta University of Technology, Sleman, Daerah Istimewa Yogyakarta, Indonesia
- Sejkul, Drive-In Airport 2100 – Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Architecture, Ljubljana, Slovenia
- Ryerson University, Head in the Clouds, Ryerson University, Toronto, Canada
- Marklin Huynh, Istanbul International Airport Asian Terminal, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
- M3DMA, Tokyo Gate – Tokyo International (Haneda) Airport, Gdansk University of Technology, Gdańsk, Poland
- Oporajeyo, The City Lungs – Indira Gandhi International Airport, North South University, Dhaka, Bangladesh
To learn more about the competition and shortlisted project details click here. Competition winners will be announced in October 2020.
listentochris · Sep 14, 20 8:15 PMWow the CRAB project straight up ripped the Myrtle Garden Hotel project by Penda.
citizen · Sep 14, 20 10:54 PM
[note to self: Remember to grease my bike chain.]
CC Chiang · Sep 15, 20 12:45 AM
This competition has gone from semi-serious proposals at airports into full-blown Evolvo rendering territory.
jw1 · Sep 15, 20 1:41 AMCrab is a complete copy of Myrtle Garden Hotel
genliqngqi · Sep 20, 20 1:02 PM??
Comment as :