Internships play a pivotal role in providing students with new skills and experience to aid them during their professional careers. The A+D Museum announces its partnership with The Getty Museum for an internship opportunity catering to undergraduate students.
The Getty Marrow Undergraduate Internship program aims to support substantive, full-time summer work opportunities for students from cultural backgrounds that have traditionally been underrepresented in the arts. They will be offering one Exhibition, Research, and Strategic Planning Internship for a qualified undergraduate student.
The intern will be working closely with their core team on projects that will include utilizing the strategic planning tools of a 503 (c) non-profit organization, researching exhibition design for Fall exhibitions, navigating the day-to-day administrative tasks of running the museum, and administering public programming alongside the Fall exhibitions.
- The internship is full-time (40 hours/week) that will be partially onsite at the museum and offsite. each with a stipend of $6,000
- Consecutive ten-week work period between September 1, 2020 to November 10, 2020.
- The Exhibitions, Research, and Strategic Planning Intern’s projects will be utilizing the strategic planning tools of a 503 (c) non-profit organization, researching exhibition design for future exhibitions, navigating the day-to-day administrative tasks of running the museum (part-time), and administering public programming alongside the exhibits. Interns will primarily be responsible for assisting in the museum’s mission to incorporate exhibitions with relevant topics in design along with interactive public programming through the process of grant writing, learning how to communicate and coordinate with artists and designers involved, and will be participating in the production of the exhibition design. Within the 10 week internship period, interns will have gained an aggregate understanding of how a non-profit museum functions and will have experience in communicating concepts through exhibitions.
As per the eligibility criteria of the Getty Marrow Undergraduate Internship program, this internship is intended for an outstanding student who is a member of groups underrepresented in museums and visual arts organizations, including but not limited to an individual of African American, Asian, Latino/Hispanic, Native American, and Pacific Islander descent. Applicants must also:
- Be currently enrolled undergraduates. Students must have completed at least one semester or two quarters of college by June 2020. Students graduating in May or June 2020 are also eligible. (Students who are enrolled in a second BA or BS program are not eligible.)
- Reside or attend college in Los Angeles County; and
- Be a United States citizen or permanent resident.
- Enjoys learning and being a part of a small team
- Working knowledge of Google Sheets, Docs, etc.
- Strong reading, writing and proofreading skills with attention to detail
- Ability to problem-solve independently and collaborate with others
- Some design background or knowledge of Adobe Suite programs is a plus, but not required
- Must have a working computer, as work will take place partially offsite
- Must have reliable transportation to/from the museum
In the application form, please be sure to attach your resume, cover letter, and 1 letter of recommendation from a mentor, professor, or employer (optional, but preferred). Your cover letter should explain what you hope to learn from this internship, your academic and/or job experiences that may benefit from this position, and what skills you hope to utilize during these 10 weeks.
Comment as :