Established by London's Design Museum, the Beazley Designs of the Year Award celebrates the most innovative global design in Architecture, Digital, Fashion, Graphic, Product and Transport from the last 12 months. In total, the world's leading museum devoted to architecture and contemporary design has nominated 62 fascinating nominated projects across the six aforementioned categories.
Now in its tenth year, the shortlist for 2017 includes a Nike-designed hijab, David Adjaye's National Museum of African American History and Culture, the Pussyhat seen at anti-Trump protests around the country, and the Olympic refugee flag among others that reflect our tumultuous times and highlight the role of design in creative resistance.
Category winners will be announced and then one overall winner will be crowned the Beazley Designs of the Year awardee on January 25, 2018. Alongside, the Design Museum will host the yearly nominees exhibition starting October 18th continuing through January 28th, 2018.
Check out the full shortlist below, and some photos of the nominees.
- Mrs Fan's Plug-In House. Designed by People'e Architecture Office.
- Warka Water. Designed by Artuto Vittori.
- Hegnhuset, memorial and learning centre on Utøya, Norway. Designed by Blakstad Haffner Architects.
- Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture in Washington D.C. Adjaye Associates, the Freelon Group, Davis Brody Bond, SmithGroupJJR.
- Wind and Rain Bridge. Donn Holohan with students from the University of Hong Kong and Peitian Community Craftsmen.
- Sala Beckett Theatre and International Drama Center. Designed by Flores & Prats.
- The Calais Builds Project. Gráinne Hassett with migrants living in the Calais Jungle and students of Architecture from the University of Limerick.
- Croft Lodge Studio. Kate Darby Architects and David Connor Design.
- Lycée Schorge Secondary School. Kéré Architecture.
- Weltsadt-Refugees' Memories and Futures as Models. Schlesische27 International Youth, Arts and Culture Center in collaboration with Raumlaborberlin and the SRH Hochschule der Populären Künste—hdpk.
- The Environment Enhancement of the Five Dragons Temple. Designed by Urbanus.
- Port House. Designed by Zaha Hadid Architects.
- Il Fondaco Tedeschi, Venice. Designed by OMA.
- Premier League on-air branding. DixonBaxi.
- Pierre Chareau: Modern Architecture and Design. Diller Scofidio + Renfro.
- Saydnaya: Inside a Syrian Torture Prison. Forensic Architecture and Amnesty International.
- Meet Graham: The only person designed to survive on our roads. Patricia Piccinini for Transport Accident Authority (TAC).
- Pokémon Go. Niantic.
- Rapid Liquid Printing. Self-Assembly Lab, MIT in collaboration with Steelcase.
- OTHR. Joe Doucet, Dean DiSimone and Evan Clabots.
- Professional Women Emoji. Agustin Fonts, Rachel Been, Mark Davis, Nicole Bleuel and Chang Yang.
- Refugee Text. Kåre M. S. Solvåg, Caroline Arvidsson, Ciarán Duffy.
- Google Noto. Google and Monotype.
- Pussyhat Project. Krista Suh, Jayna Zweiman, Kat Coyle and Aurora Lady.
- New Object Research 'The Rite of Spring/Summer/Autumn/Winter'. Aitor Throup.
- Ecoalf. by Ecoalf.
- Life of Pablo merchandise and pop-up stores. Kanye West and Mat Vlasic for Bravado.
- Levi’s® Commuter™ Trucker Jacket with Jacquard™ by Google. Levi Strauss & Co. and Google Inc.
- Nike Pro Hijab. Rachel Henry, Baron Brandt and Megan Saalfeld for Nike.
- Protest Banner Lending Library. Aram Han Sifuentes in collaboration with Verónica Casado Hernandez, Ishita Dharap, and Tabitha Anne Kunkes.
- Finding Her. IC4DESIGN with DDB Dubai for UN Women Egypt.
- Ibiza Mykonos Jeremy Corbyn (Politcal Protests). Michael Oswell.
- New logo and Identity for Reykjavik Art Museum. karlssonwilker inc.
- N.A.A.F.I design identity. Alberto Bustamente a.k.a Mexican Jihad.
- Me & EU. Nathan Smith and Sam T Smith.
- Real Review. Jack Self, Editor-in-Chief, and OK-RM (Oliver Knight and Rory McGrath), Creative Directors.
- Wales Nation Brand. Smörgåsbord.
- 'Fractured Lands', The New York Times Magazine, 14 August 2016. Jack Silverstein, Editor-in-Chief, Gail Bichler, Design Director, and Matt Willey, Art Director, for The New York Times Magazine.
- Unit Editions. Tony Brook, Adrian Shaughnessy and Patricia Finegan.
- Pro-EU anti-Brexit Campaign. Wolfgang Tillmans, Between Bridges.
- The Refugee Nation flag. Yara Said with The Refugee Nation for Amnesty International.
- Avy Search and Rescue Drone. Paul Vastert, David Wielemaker, Christian McCabe and Patrique Zaman.
- Dansbana! Vårby gård. Dansbana! (Anna Fridolin, Anna Pang and Teres Selberg) for Huddinge kommuni
- BuffaloGrid. Daniel Becerra.
- Alphabet of Light. BIG—Bjarke Ingels Group of Artemide.
- Flax Chair. Christien Meindertsma for LABEL/BREED.
- AIR-INK. Graviky Labs.
- Remolten. gt2P (great things 2 People) with Friedman Benda.
- Wedge Dowel. IKEA.
- Solid Textile Board Benches. Max Lamb for Really.
- Nimuno Loops. Anine Kirsten, Max Basler and Jaco Kruger.
- The Pilot translating earpiece. Waverly Labs.
- SNOO Smart Sleeper. Yves Béhar and fuseproject for Dr Harvey Karp's Happiest Baby.
- Sufferhead Original Stout. Emeka Ogboh.
- Autonomous Rail Rapid Transit (ART). CRRC.
- Mahjouba Initiative. Eric van Hove.
- Olli. Local Motors.
- Light Traffic. Carlo Ratti at Senseable City Lab, Massachussetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
- SeaBubbles. Alain Thebault and Anders Bringal.
- Honda Moto Riding Assist. Honda.
- Scewo. Thomas Gemperle, Adrien Weber, Naomi Stieger, Stella
Mühlhaus, Bernhard Winter, Pascal Buholzer at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology
- Gita. Piaggio Fast Forward.
Comment as :