TEX-FAB is back with their 2014 digital fabrication competition, Plasticity, and the four finalists have been announced. The annual design competition connects experimental design practices with industry leaders, while also promoting innovative research in the architectural applications of digital fabrication and parametric design.
Out of 70 submitted entries, the jury for round one chose the four finalists and five Honorable Mentions.
- “Puff’D” by Nels Long, Brennen Huller and Nikita Troufanov
- “ViscoPlasty” by Alexandra Singer-Bieder, Sofia Bennani and Agathe Michel
- “Plastic Stereotomy” by Justin Diles
- “Monolith Translucent Lattice” by Vasily Sitnikov
- "Pneusystems" by Kathy Velikov and Geoffrey Thun/RVTR with Mary O'Malley, Eric Meyer, Nick Safley and Lars Junghans
- "Snap It Up" by Andreas Schönbrunner and Nicola Haberbosch
- "Plastic Plastic" by Peter Vikar, Erin Besler, Siim Tuksam and Eugene Kosgoron (under the supervision of Studio Instructor: Peter Testa with Brandon Kruysman and Jonathan Proto)
- "Volatile Mutation" by Alan Cation, Dustin Tisdale and Tim Henshaw‐Plath
- "Rigid Fibers" by David Costanza
Each finalist will receive a US$1,000 stipend to develop prototypes to be displayed at the ACADIA: Design Agency conference at the University of Southern California in Los Angeles this October.
The jury of round two will select the winner, who will be announced during the ACADIA conference. With fabrication support from TEX-FAB, the winner will be commissioned to build a full-scale installation of their project. The project will then travel to Houston in Spring 2015 and be exhibited at the TEX-FAB 2015 conference.
Round One jury: Benjamin Ball, Alvin Huang, Virginia San Fratello, Kenneth Tracy, Christine Yogiaman, and Joshua Zabel
Round Two jury: Craig Dykers, Jeanne Gang, Bill Kreysler, Greg Lynn, and Roland Snooks
Check out the finalist entries right below.
All images courtesy of TEX-FAB Plasticity competition.
Click the thumbnails below to see the Honorable Mentions.
Comment as :