The annual Tall + Urban Innovation Conference recently wrapped up after taking place in a virtual format this year. The event culminated in the announcement of the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat's 2021 award winners across 29 award categories.
For the coveted title of "Best Tall Building Worldwide," the jury selected Vancouver House designed by Bjarke Ingels Group in collaboration with Architect of Record DIALOG. The project went on to also win several other category titles, including Best Tall Building 100-199 Meters, Best Tall Residential or Hotel Building, and the Structural Engineering Award.
Best Tall Building Jury Chair Karl Fender praised Vancouver House as a "formally striking building brilliantly conceptualized to enhance its surroundings from a seemingly improbable development site."
Another BIG-designed Canadian building, Telus Sky in Calgary, won the title in the Best Tall Building 200-299 Meter category.
Take a look at the illustrious field of main category winners.
Best Tall Building under 100 meters: 25 King, Brisbane, Australia by Bates Smart
Best Tall Building 300-399 meters: Raffles City Chongqing, Chongqing, China by Safdie Architects
Best Tall Building – Americas: Comcast Technology Center, Philadelphia, USA by Foster + Partners
Best Tall Building – Asia Winner: Asia Financial Center & AIIB Headquarters, Beijing, China by von Gerkan, Marg and Partners Architects (Architect of Record: Architectural Design and Research Institute of Tsinghua University)
Best Tall Building – Australia Winner: ARC by Crown Group, Sydney, Australia by Koichi Takada Architects
Best Tall Building – Middle East & Africa Winner: ToHA Tower 1, Tel Aviv, Israel by Ron Arad Architects and Yashar Architects
Winners in other award categories included:
- Best Tall Office Building Winner: ToHA Tower 1 Office, Tel Aviv
- Best Tall Residential or Hotel Building Winner: Vancouver House, Vancouver
- Best Tall Mixed-Use Building Winner: Daphne Cockwell Health Sciences Complex, Toronto
- Urban Habitat: Single-Site Scale Winner: DUO Tower, Singapore
- Urban Habitat: District/Master Plan Scale Winner: Hudson Yards - Eastern Yards, New York City
- Construction Award Winner: Rainier Square Tower, Seattle
- Facade Engineering Winner: Lakhta Center, St. Petersburg
- Fire & Risk Engineering Winner: CITIC Tower, Beijing
- Geotechnical Engineering Winner: Claridge's Hotel, London
- Innovation Award Winner: Baker Brace
- Interior Design Award Winner: UTS Central, Sydney
- MEP Engineering Winner: Museum Tower Kyobashi, Tokyo
- Renovation Award Winner: Hanwha Headquarters, Seoul
- Structural Engineering Winner: Vancouver House, Vancouver
- 10-Year Award (2010 Completions) Winner: Burj Khalifa, Dubai
- 10-Year Award (2011 Completions) Winner: 1 Bligh Street, Sydney
Comment as :