Winners unveiled for 2023 AIA Young Architects Award and Associate Award
By Niall Patrick Walsh|
Monday, Mar 6, 2023
The American Institute of Architects has unveiled its latest cohort of Young Architects Award and Associates Award winners.
For the Associates Award, the AIA honored Hallie Crouch of Cleveland, OH, and Jeremy Gentile of Chicago, IL. The two individuals were made Associate AIA members as part of the award’s mission “to recognize outstanding leaders and creative thinkers for significant contributions to their communities and the architecture profession.”
Meanwhile, for the Young Architects Award, the AIA selected seventeen designers “who have demonstrated exceptional leadership and made significant contributions to the architecture profession early in their careers.” Past winners of the award have included prominent names such as Julie Hiromoto and Jonathan Moody.
The 2023 recipients are as follows:
- Janica Ley Baker, AIA | NAC Architecture
- Matthew Clapper, AIA | MAD
- Jacob Davis, AIA | archimania
- Allison Dvorak, AIA | Avera Health
- Efrie Escott, AIA | KieranTimberlake
- Simona Fischer, AIA | MSR Design
- Shannon F. Gathings, AIA | Duvall Decker Architects, P.A.
- Brien Graham, AIA | LPA Design Studios
- Christopher M. Haedt, AIA | DesignGroup
- Ryan R. Murphy, AIA | Shamrock+
- Beresford Pratt, AIA | U.S. Army Corp of Engineers
- Caroline Shannon, AIA | Gensler
- Jason Takeuchi, AIA | Ferraro Choi and Associates, Ltd.
- Kate Thuesen, AIA| DLR Group
- Kimberly Tuttle, AIA | Gensler
- Stephanie Vito, AIA | CannonDesign
- David J. Wilson, AIA | HGA
Additional information about each individual can be found here.
Ali Mahjouri · Mar 06, 23 8:18 PM
The male white profession is shining is wings again, perpetuating the past. At least there is some gender parity. It only took 50 years.
But, minority representation is still abysmal.
Archinect · Mar 06, 23 8:27 PM
How so? It seems that this selection is representative of the US population, which would be the goal, no? Of these winners, 29.4% are white men. White men consist of 31% of the US population.
US demographic breakdown:
Black population 13.6%
Asian population 5.7%
Female population 50.5%
Breakdown of these published winners:
Black winners 17.6% (3/17)
Asian winners 11.8% (2/17)
Female winners 52.9% (9/17)
Ali Mahjouri · Mar 06, 23 10:18 PM
Minorities consist ONLY of Asians and Blacks. I forgot.
Thank you for the clarification, Archinect
Archinect · Mar 06, 23 10:40 PM
We don't know the backgrounds of all of the winners besides the assumptions we can make based on the photos. With 17 winners, it would be difficult for all minorities to be represented, but this selection, in our opinion, is doing a good job representing the community architects design for.
Comment as :