In collaboration with Sunbrella®, America’s most leading performance fabrics brand, YoungBird, a Shanghai-based design media platform, has launched this competition that is open to students, professionals and design enthusiasts the world over in a bid to create a“shade-scape”for people staying outside and invite discussions on the subject of “urban environmental quality” . The jury features heavyweight industry veterans like Grace Chen, haute couture designer, Jamy Yang, industrial designer and founder of YANG DESIGN and YANG HOUSE, Greg Voorhis, design director of Glen Raven Custom Fabrics, as well as Isa Ye, founder and CEO of YoungBird. Contestants are required to conceive a pattern on the sunshade surface 2.5 meters in diameter using Sunbrella® fabrics. The Top 10 works will be updated and fabricated by the brand’s US-based team, and then put on display at landmarks or major roads in several first-tier Chinese cities.
In an age plagued by global warming, urban heat island effect, traffic congestion and air pollution, people living in urban areas tend to stay inside their air conditioning-equipped houses all day long in summer. Yet a beautiful summer should not be necessarily accompanied by high levels of energy consumption, environmental damage and personal health problems arising from staying indoors for long stretches. Only by staying close to nature could we improve the quality of our lives.
The "Shade-scape" Sunshade Pattern Design Competition 2017 is an attempt made by YoungBird to create a “shade-scape” for people staying outside. “Shade-scape” is a cityscape shaped from sunshades that encourages citizens to walk out of their houses, enjoy summer to the uttermost under the sunshades and thus make a return to nature.
Contestants are required to conceive a pattern on the sunshade surface 2.5 meters in diameter using Sunbrella® fabrics. The winning works will be put on display at landmarks or major roads in several first-tier Chinese cities after being optimized and fabricated by the brand’s US-based professional team.
· Any professional, student, design enthusiast of all ages with design- and art-related background across the world is eligible;
· Only individual registration is accepted, with no more than 2 entries from each contestant.
- Interdisciplinary Jury
· Grace Chen, Fashion Designer, Founder & CEO of haute couture brand Grace Chen
· Jamy Yang, Founder of YANG DESIGN and YANG HOUSE, Top Influential Chinese Designer by Forbes
· Greg Voorhis, Design Director of Glen Raven Custom Fabrics
· Isa Ye, Founder & CEO of YoungBird
- Academic Consultants
·Dr. Christine Tsui , Fashion Business Consultant & Critic
·Yiping Qiu, Distinguished Professor of the College of Textiles, Donghua University, Shanghai
· 2017.02.12 Start of Registration
· 2017.03.26 Submission Deadline
· 2017.04.10 Release of Top 100
· 2017.04.17 Release of Top 30
· 2017.04.24 Release of Top 10
· 2017.06.15 Patented fabrication of Top 10 works
· Each of the Top 10 finalists will sign an agreement with YoungBird, under which their work will be updated and fabricated by the co-organizer Sunbrella®’s US team;
Champion: 30,000 RMB
Top 3 (except the champion): 8,000 RMB
Top10 (except the Top 3): 3,000 RMB
· The Top 10 works will be put on display at landmarks or major roads in several first-tier Chinese cities and further promoted via Young Bird Gallery;A custom-made certificate; In-depth coverage by YoungBirds custom publication and YoungBird new media platforms.
YoungBird is an international platform dedicated to pooling resources across the design industry. It is also a provider of innovative custom solutions to the authorities, developers, contractors, design firms, brands and so forth, based on in-depth analysis of all players’ needs. Adhering to the principle of independent thinking, avant-garde practice and interdisciplinary exchange of ideas, YoungBird is committed to connecting different links along the industry chain and facilitating industrial upgrading of the sector through ingenious methods of communication. Over the past few years, YoungBird new media platforms have been viewed over 11 million times, including over 2 million video clicks and over 8 million social media views; YoungBird bilingual WeChat platform now boasts 150,000-plus followers, with an average post viewed at least 40,000 times.
Comment as :