Bcome 2022 is to propose the future vision of Busan, this year’s theme of the Busan Architecture Festival, by addressing the World Expo 2030 Busan which can symbolize its future.
To this end, promoting the design proposals of national pavilions from around the world in accord with its theme, “Transforming Our World, Navigating toward a Better Future,” the competition will explore the presentations of creative designs reflecting the great tradition or culture and technological prowess of each nation.
Besides, it expects to increase the citizens’ interest in hosting the World Expo 2030 Busan and become the field of promoting it to the international community.
The World Expo is an event and precious chance that can present the culture and technological prowess of nations from around the world and the excellence of their architectural designs.
This competition is an event to host the expo by presenting the future of Busan as a maritime city.
It is an ideas competition that does not aim at realization, that provides the benefit of enabling relatively free expressions of ideas focused more on architectural design, making it unnecessary to consider real constraints such as the building scale and budget available to each nation.
Also, bringing together all the architectural designs from around the world in advance will add up to the great significance of this competition.
BACKGROUND & PURPOSE
Bcome is the brand name of the annual competition held by the Busan Architecture Festival since 2020 dealing with the main issues and implementation tasks of Busan. Welcoming its third year now, Bcome 2022 takes the World Expo 2030 Busan as its theme to propose the future vision of the city. Its content will be comprised of the proposals of national pavilion designs by the participants from around the world.
The main goals of this competition are to envision the blueprint of the World Expo 2030 prior to the designation of its host city; to evoke Busan citizens’ interest in hosting the expo by publicizing the outcome of this competition; and also to help promote internationally the city’s will to become the host of the expo.
Aiming to be held in 2030, the World Expo Busan will be themed “Transforming Our World, Navigating toward a Better Future.” This is to promote worldwide the status of Korea as a leading smart nation by intense exhibitions of new future technologies covering artificial intelligence, 6G, smart airport and seaport, and the like, and to make a new momentum for leaping forward in all aspects across economy, society, and culture.
Holding the World Expo 2030 Busan is a very important issue for the city’s architecture and urbanism as well. Particularly, 2022 is the year cities have to submit hosting proposals before the host city is designated. This year’s competition is expected to make an opportunity to promote the World Expo Busan to and draw relevant ideas from the architectural people around the world.
The project schedule of the World Expo 2030 is as follows:
2020: preparing for hosting the expo / 2021: applying for the host city competition / 2022: submitting the hosting proposal / 2023: the host city designated / 2030: holding the expo from May 1 to Oct. 31
- Project: the National Pavilion Designs of World Expo 2030Busan
- Range of the Site: This competition is to promote designing on the virtual sites located at the North Port redevelopment area in Busan. Please refer to the guidelines for details.
- Public notice of ideas competition: Jul. 15 (Fri.), 2022
- Application for Registration: 9 AM Jul. 15 (Fri.) to 6 PM Aug. 12 (Fri.), 2022
- Question Submission: Aug. 1 (Mon.) to 12 (Fri.), 2022
- Answer Post: Aug. 16 (Tue.), 2022
- Submission of works: 9 AM Sep. 19 (Mon.) to 6 PM Sep. 23(Fri.), 2022
- Deliberation: Sep. 30 (Fri.), 2022
- Announcement of winners: Oct. 4 (Tue.), 2022
- Submission Date: 9 AM Sep. 19 (Mon.) to 6 PM Sep. 23(Fri.), 202
- Articles to Submit: 1 file of and A0 size (upright), 1 file of and A3 sized bird’s eye-view panel design
- How to Submit: Upload it on the website
QUALIFICATIONS FOR PARTICIPATION
All people interested in urban regeneration in and out of country, including students, majors and professionals in architecture, urbanism, environmental design, and landscape architecture, can participate in this competition.
You may apply as an individual or a team (within 5 members). As a team, you shall pick a representative applicant. At the time of submitting your work, you may change any co-applicant’s name registered already but may not change the representative’s name. The representative applicant has the responsibility of and the right to getting in contact with the steering committee and receiving the prize money.
Any team applicant cannot participate in more than one team.
*Registration is free.
PRIZE-WINNING & REWARDS
- 1 recipient for 1st Prize: 10 million KRW + Busan Mayor’s Award
- 1 recipient for 2nd Prize: 5 million KRW + Busan Mayor’s Award
- 5 recipients for 3rd Prize: 1 million KRW (for each team) + Busan Mayor’s Award
- Others for Honorary Mention: Certificates of Merit from Chairperson of BAF
For more information
Comment as :